Summer @ Brown University | Teen Ink

Summer @ Brown University MAG

Providence, RI: Since 1764, Brown University has provided an Ivy League education in liberal arts. Brown reaches out to high-school students through their pre-college summer program, in which students from around the world experience college and learn about majors through over 100 courses.

This summer I was fortunate enough to be admitted to a three-week course in psychology for high school students. At first I was scared to be on my own with nothing familiar around, but once orientation started, my excitement chased away my fear.

The campus was incredible, with everything from a CVS pharmacy to a movie theater just a short walk away. I loved the course and, surprisingly, enjoyed the assignments and going to class (even if it was summer). Without parents to run home to or a curfew, I now feel prepared for life at college. The friends I made taught me a lot about life and we became family, helping each other even if it was three a.m. and they needed to talk.

In those short weeks I made great friends, learned how to handle college courses, and experienced what college is all about. I went there believing all my time would be spent immersed in work, but I left knowing it was the most amazing time of my life.

Reviewed in 2004

i love this !

ignorethis said...
ignorethis, Saint Charles, Missouri

"It is in your moments of decision that you're destiny is shaped."

What are you guys doing about the cost?

Wow! it sounds like you had a fantastic time! My mom had wanted me to do the Brown Summer Program this coming summer. I was nervous too, about the work and being away from home. After reading your essay though, I now feel better about the program. Thank you. Do you have any advice for someone who's going into the program for the first time? thank you.