Monkey See, Monkey Don't | Teen Ink

Monkey See, Monkey Don't

By bookwormchick BRONZE, Wauconda, Illinois
bookwormchick BRONZE, Wauconda, Illinois

"Shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

“Oh my God! She has the clearest skin!”

“I wish I was that skinny!”

“I want my boyfriend to have those abs!”

“Did you see her boobs?! They're huge!! No wonder she has all of the boys.”

“Oh, I want her hair color.”

“She looks so healthy! I wish I was that toned!”

Have you ever said this when looking at the TV, gossip magazine, movie, or ad?
Sure there are always parts of ourselves we want to change, but if we really want to be skinnier or be more toned, can't we pass up the McDonald's run or the bag of chips on the counter or walk instead of driving?

The media is sending us two different messages, one to be beautiful. That being thin a a rod is good and being crazy top heavy (if you know what I mean) is sexy. That you have to dress like a hooker to get a guy. Or if you tell someone your nineteen and still a virgin, wow you must be a social reject, what are you, a nun? What ever happened to pure till marriage?!? Music states that we should 'brush our teeth with a bottle of Jack' and have 'birthday sex'. What ever happened to being modest and self respect. All around us we have this image of beautiful people that we should be.

Then the media turns around and says go ahead, have a Big Mac. Fried chicken is good, isn't it? We used 2% real cheese this time! You don't have time to sit down and eat a homemade meal so just get fast food so you can go do more things, it's cheaper, too! Don't get on that scale, it always lies!
The Biggest Loser. Dance Your Ass Off. I really wish we didn't have to have shows like that. I mean we have Michelle Obama talking about the sad reality of obese children, for heaven's sake!

We are a people that adore thin, fit, beautiful people- and yet we -as a nation- have a serious weight problem. I'm not saying that we should all go on a major diet or stop completely having fast food. Every now and again its fine to eat out. I just think if you really want to become thinner or toned or whatever, you can, and you should be able to live the way you want to without the media screaming at you that you have it wrong.

I just got frustrated that we are such a backwards people when we talk about image. I wanted people to hear what I had to say.

on Sep. 1 2010 at 2:59 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Well said! My thoughts esxactly. Glad I'm not the only one!

on Aug. 30 2010 at 7:08 am
Thatpartofme BRONZE, Somewhere, New Hampshire
Thank you for writing this!  Well said!!!  This made me smile.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who feel this way.

Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
Exactly! People should think for themselves!

mothermaday said...
Chi-Ching! Points well taken!