Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Calamities of Beauty This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Peggy Z., Brookly, NY

“Look at your cousin. She’s so skinny and so pretty. Look at her; she’s so beautiful now but not before when she was fat. You should ask her for her dieting tips.” My mother callously says to me after we had just finished a conversation with my older cousin. I roll my eyes at her and pretend that I didn’t hear her. Although my mother thinks that she is actually helping me to a fit and healthy life, she does not realize that she is mentally bullying me with her sharp words and even sharper tongue. She does not realize that although I ignore her, those words still echo through my head as I consciously pick a salad over pizza, as I run around to get a ball during gym, as I walk around in shorts in public.

However, I am not the only one affected by this, this dissatisfaction with my body, this grain of doubt about whether I’m skinny enough, whether I’m pretty enough.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

22 comment(s)
Nattapon
I totally agree with what you're saying. Though instead of girls asking "Do I look beautiful?", they should be asking themselves, "Am I healthy?" People seem to find beauty so much more than healthiness, which should be the other way around.
Jul. 26, 2015 at 11:55 AM • Report
Shemmy
Im thankful that my mom never really mentally bullying me. She's the only one who is conscious with her weight. haha. This is a nice article.
Jul. 12, 2015 at 11:28 PM • Report
BriannaLogan
This was a very motivational article! I loved it!
Apr. 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM • Report
XxanimevickixX
This was just what I'm all about. Sometimes, our own parents don't realize how they can hurt us with what they say. Constantly reminding me of my weight and how I look, it's just harder to love who I am. I know she's just trying to look after my health but my brain just interprets it as a huge blow to my self-esteem.
Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM • Report
TheRedEchidna
It's totally unfair that a size 6 is considered plus size in the fashion industry; I'm a size 6 and I'm nowhere near plus size.
Jan. 18, 2015 at 11:41 AM • Report
Thefanatasticagirlie101
This is a very motivational article. Nice opinion.
Jan. 09, 2015 at 2:48 PM • Report
snailkisses
As someone who suffered from bulimia for two years, I am very grateful for this. You're a wonderful writer and have a beautiful way with words.
Jan. 09, 2015 at 1:26 PM • Report
BuddingAuthor
I honestly think that you don't have to beautiful on the outside, but everyone freaks out if you aren't. I'm thin to the point of being skinny enough to wrap my thumb and pinky around my wrist so they touch and there is a centimeter of space between my fingers and my wrist. I am very bony and have no curves. I think that people judge by the outside too much. I think you can be size eighteen and still be beautiful, you just have to find the person who realizes that.
Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM • Report
TheRedEchidna
I feel that people judge from the outside too much also. I'm very curvy and went to school with mostly thin girls with no curves. I learned to be more comfortable with my curves, though. Anyway, I totally agree with you that people can be of different sizes and still be beautiful, and I believe there are people who realize that.
Jan. 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM • Report
Midnight5765
You tell it like it is and I respect that. The weird part is that I'm a size 14 too!! But you inspire me that having some extra meat on my bones is not worth loosing a meal
Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM • Report
Close