Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Calamities of Beauty This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

“Look at your cousin. She’s so skinny and so pretty. Look at her; she’s so beautiful now but not before when she was fat. You should ask her for her dieting tips.” My mother callously says to me after we had just finished a conversation with my older cousin. I roll my eyes at her and pretend that I didn’t hear her. Although my mother thinks that she is actually helping me to a fit and healthy life, she does not realize that she is mentally bullying me with her sharp words and even sharper tongue. She does not realize that although I ignore her, those words still echo through my head as I consciously pick a salad over pizza, as I run around to get a ball during gym, as I walk around in shorts in public.

However, I am not the only one affected by this, this dissatisfaction with my body, this grain of doubt about whether I’m skinny enough, whether I’m pretty enough.

Page 1 of 5

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

35 comment(s)
justwriting2
This is such a powerful peice. You bring light on this important problem. Keep writing!
Jun. 09, 2016 at 8:16 PM • Report
MissJade
Brought some much needed light to these problems. Excellent job.
May. 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM • Report
E.Inis
This piece is beautiful, haunting, and remarkably educational. Eating disorders are not something to be taken lightly and seeing a change in the way people view the role of beauty in our culture is reassuring. Thank you so much for your work. Very well done.
May. 08, 2016 at 8:58 PM • Report
rakhshi
Same here I can understand
Apr. 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM • Report
rakhshi
Same here I can understand
Apr. 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM • Report
LillyBow
Wow, this is so powerful, I loved it! Keep up the excellent work!
Feb. 09, 2016 at 9:18 PM • Report
LittleInker
This is beautiful. I'm going to post this on my website that I made if that's okay with you. I will give you ALL credit, plus the websites that you have cited so well.
Feb. 05, 2016 at 7:47 PM • Report
Jenny Lin
The way I see now is how beauty can hurt or can heal by the way we interpret what "healthy," means.
Jan. 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM • Report
rakhshi
Absolutely right
Apr. 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM • Report
rakhshi
Absolutely right
Apr. 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM • Report
Close