Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Haircut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By OstentatiousNature, Laingsburg, MI

There is a sort of spiritual aspect to the experience of getting a haircut. I feel awkward sitting in the barber's chair contemplating such things. I wonder if mine are the first profound thoughts to occur three inches from the faux leather headrest. I think not – that would be presumptuous of me.

But I am an introvert. A testament to how much so is the fact that I consider it often. I am not staring at Melissa the hairdresser or the strange instruments – it's baffling to me that they are all dedicated to hair care – or the reflection-upon-reflection effect you encounter in such places.

Instead, I am now a scientist, ruthless and analytical. Face: too boxy. Nose: too round. Skin: too freckly. Eyes: too dark. This is how my face looks, framed by long, dark hair I have lightened with streaks of copper.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Shagun
I recently got 17 inches of my hair cut too. I think you encapsulated perfectly the feeling of vulnerbility as the strands fall dowm. Great work. Would you read and comment on my articles, The Epiphany and The Lost Battle?
Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM • Report
Close