Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Book of General Ignorance: A Slam Poem This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Kathryn B., Novi, MI

The Book of General Ignorance

There are 4 kinds of people, intellectually speaking.
There are the people who know that they know things,
and the people who know that there are things they don’t know,
and the people who don’t know how many things they know,
and then there are the people who don’t know that they don’t know anything about anything.

And The Book of General Ignorance
swears it’s for the people who realize how very little they know about the world, and want to know more.
So I read it.

I learned that chop suey isn’t really Chinese,
and that bagpipes aren’t really Scottish,
and that there are actually only 46 American states,

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

25 comment(s)
Izzy777
you kept me so captivating the WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. So beautiful this deserves way more then a Editors Choice (:
Jun. 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM • Report
NightinGem
This is fantastic -- its voice is so undeniably human, like your thought process when planning what to say to your friend next. You capture the sporadic nature of a wandering, knowledge-lusting mind in arms both humorous and somewhat sad, and it fits oh-so-perfectly with the voice in your head -- I've heard people asking for it to be read aloud, but honestly, the perfect voice for this piece is that one who's always with you,that thought-voice you can't really pin down. The facts, interspersed with commentary of the person, the person we're so alike to yet may not want to admit it, are interesting and, while seemingly random, each fall into place neatly, like a battered jigsaw puzzle. The places where the pieces have been nipped and worn are the niches for our narrator's speculation and commentary, and in the end, it simply captures human thought, at our most raw.
Apr. 06, 2015 at 4:53 PM • Report
cocasal
Wow! This is great work: simple and powerful. This must be selected for the magazine!
Apr. 05, 2015 at 10:12 AM • Report
Clarabelle
This is just... amazing. It really deserves much more than just an editorial mention. You are talented enough to transcend emotion, power and meaning through the verses you write without having to justify your means through voice. I would truly love to see you -- or someone -- perform this as a real slam poem. Truly amazing work, you should be incredibly proud. Keep on writing!
Mar. 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM • Report
MissEmilyDickinson
Wow. Haha, it's so different and just absolutely, wonderful and brilliant. I love it. I'll need to think more about it, as I read, but all in all it's amazing. You have a talent and greatness in you; and I hope you kno wthat. Thank you for sharing this. Congarts on the editor's checkmark, too! I hope it gets published soon. Thanks again. 
Sep. 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM • Report
Lisas.Smile
Deserves more than an editorial tick.
Sep. 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM • Report
Megan C.
This is fantastic!
Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM • Report
Liv.Harris
great job! XD
Jun. 07, 2014 at 9:43 PM • Report
ahheredia
This is really cool haha congrats 
May. 04, 2014 at 4:25 PM • Report
TakeAGuessKatara
I completly agree :)
Apr. 05, 2014 at 9:56 PM • Report
Close