Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Book of General Ignorance: A Slam Poem This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

The Book of General Ignorance

There are 4 kinds of people, intellectually speaking.
There are the people who know that they know things,
and the people who know that there are things they don’t know,
and the people who don’t know how many things they know,
and then there are the people who don’t know that they don’t know anything about anything.

And The Book of General Ignorance
swears it’s for the people who realize how very little they know about the world, and want to know more.
So I read it.

I learned that chop suey isn’t really Chinese,
and that bagpipes aren’t really Scottish,
and that there are actually only 46 American states,

Page 1 of 7

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

38 comment(s)
E.Inis
Absolutely fantastic piece! Well done.
May. 08, 2016 at 8:49 PM • Report
kate.marie
dude this is wonderful; really made me think ...
Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM • Report
LittleInker
Feb. 05, 2016 at 8:06 PM • Report
BreeZephyr
By the way, why the heck is this not in the magazine???
Jan. 03, 2016 at 5:41 PM • Report
BreeZephyr
Two quotes for you: "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing." and "I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think." Both quotes are from Socrates, and this poem reminded me of him. He was a genius. So are you. Amazing job on this.
Jan. 03, 2016 at 5:41 PM • Report
Joz3ph_4
I am one of those people who wanted to take the time to tell you how I thought of this. And the way you capture the energy you wanted to express by making me read without knowing what to expect is marvelous. I enjoyed your work and I hope you can do more with your talent.
Nov. 03, 2015 at 8:41 PM • Report
Infralalenshka
Je t'aime. I struggled with that dilemma. Thank you so much for writing this. I'm in tears.
Nov. 01, 2015 at 9:03 PM • Report
sharpened_pencil
You deserved to be published in the magazine! Such a lightly humorous and simple slam poem that conveys the message that this is one world and everybody is pretty ignorant in their own way. At the end of the day, we're not that cultured or intelligent, and that's really important to keep in mind. Congrats and amazing work!
Sep. 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM • Report
CallMeAria
Awesome!! I didn't get bored for a second :) this was such an enjoyable piece to read, I picked up some tips, myself xD how that's okay? I would appreciate it if you would check out some of my work and see what you think? :)
Sep. 07, 2015 at 8:25 PM • Report
knick-knack
I couldn't stop reading this. It should be a fairly simple affair; you list off some facts, some figures, with a mirrored end and beginning, and let the words take you from there. But this was...so much more than that. Seriously, this was fantastic, and I loved every single second of it. :) Seriously, you are a fantastic author and should definitely keep writing.
Sep. 04, 2015 at 10:13 PM • Report
Close