Camp Real Life | Teen Ink

Camp Real Life

By Janae88 BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas
Janae88 BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

”Oh my gosh!” I said as I was walking home from school. I was talking to my friend Amber. I couldn’t believe it was the last day of school. I was ready for summer to begin. I, Ashley was ready for summer camp. When I got home I started planning my summer day-by-day, hour-by-hour for after I came home from camp. When I get back from camp I always have 5 weeks before school so I plan what I will do. I walked up the stairs to see if my older sister, Sabrina was home. She was and I went into her room to see what she was doing. As I plopped down on her cozy bed, she was putting on some makeup and looked like she was going to go out. My sister was very eye-catching. She had ash brown hair and blue-green eyes that light up in the sun. Sabrina always looked gorgeous and she had the talent too. She could dance, act and sing. That’s what I call a triple threat.
I could never compare with her because; I had a tomboy look, long light brown hair with baby blue eyes and I was kind of tall. I was also athletic, which would help at camp. As I walked into my closet all I have are boy shorts of all different colors and big baggy shirt mostly. I liked to paint and draw, that was about my only talents that I got noticed for. I never talked to boys a lot or did anything impressive. I had at least one good friend at school and that was Amber. She was always there and she was going to Camp Real Life also. It started tomorrow and I had to get some sleep because I had to get up at 6:30.
“Yes!” Today is the day I get to go to camp, I kept thinking as I sat up in bed. I texted Amber and told her to meet me at the bus depot. The camp was only 3 hours away from where I lived in Saltwater, Oklahoma. So I stepped on the bus and Amber and I sat together. Amber and I planned what we would do at camp since we didn’t stay in the same cabin. As soon as the bus stopped my heart was about to jump out of my chest. You could see the water glistening and hear the beautiful birds signing at the top of their lungs. I saw the most attractive boy in my lifetime. He was tall, shoulder length brown hair and sparkling hazel eyes. I knew I wouldn’t talk to him and I wouldn’t even bare to try.
As the days went by I noticed that he liked to play soccer and he was very competeitive. He was glancing over when she thought he was looking at her but he was waving at one of his friends passing by. She hoped and hoped for him to notice her and it just wasn’t working out. She would like to play soccer with him but she doesn’t know how.
The next day she and her friends were going swimming at the lake at the camp. When she got there she noticed that he was there. He was swimming and jumping off the rock cliff. She was impressed and her friend noticed she was looking at him and said, “Are you looking at Josh Hearing?” I replied, “Umm No?” Ugh I thought as I kept walking so I could just get there and swim. As I walked up the trail to get to the cliff, I thought about what I was going to do. Maybe I would do a regular back flip or dive. When I got there I decided to do a back flip, to impress.
I wake up and I’m at the hospital and I don’t know why. My mom walks in and tells me I hit my head on the bottom on a rock but, I’ll be alright. I also see Josh there. “Why was he here?” I thought to my self. I asked him, “Why are you here Josh?” He said,” I’m here to see if you’re alright.” The nurse came in and told me to take it easy and go back to camp since I only had two days left. Josh asked “Are you okay?” “I feel okay, I guess.” When we got back to camp I realized I needed to be myself and calm down and maybe try to talk to him. Make a conversation about the day possibly.
Josh came to my cabin the day we were leaving and he asked me for my phone number. This was the moment I waited for so long. When I got on the bus ready to go home, he texted me and I told Amber everything. She didn’t stay in the same group as me. I texted him all the way home and it just made me blush so bad. I was excited to see what the future held for Josh and me.

I like romantic stories. They can be heart warming and interesting.