Simplicity and Serenity | Teen Ink

Simplicity and Serenity

According to Lindbergh, those who choose simplicity, chooses complication, and war, prison, and survival periods are all forms of simplicity on man. Therefore, simplicity in life brings in serenity. There are many different ways that this matter could be approached through someone’s perspective of it. I for one, find it is a fact that simplicity can bring complications, and I agree with the statement she makes in her novel, “Gift From the Sea”, in terms of serenity will come out from simplicity. And to support these thoughts, I found just a quote on what another writer had to say on the subject of simplicity and serenity.

It can be a fact in most cases that those who do choose simplicity chose complication. However, complication isn’t something we necessarily choose to have, but is something that we will gain somewhere in the long run when we choose the path of simplicity. So we might know that it’s coming, but we’ll choose to take the path (of simplicity through complication) regardless. I thought it was important how she mentioned the part where war, prison and survival periods were all forms of simplicity on man, because I was able to apply it to my next thoughts. When I read the statement, I thought of the revolutionary war (as an example). We wanted peace in our nation, and were willing to go to war for it. That brings out the term that complication could come out of simplicity. To get the end results of what we wanted, we went through some complications for it.

To gain satisfaction in the end, it would take something from your time or whatever else to get the serenity you want in life. It’s kind of like a step-by-step guide to happiness in life. We want simplicity, but in order to gain, we have to give through complicated procedures, and only then will we get the serenity we fought for. That was what I thought of when I read this excerpt out of her book. It kind of goes along with the saying, ‘you gain some, you loose some’, but I think it is obvious that, that will not always be the case. However, it is unlikely that serenity will come out of simplicity without some work – or a step of procedure – being done in between.

Sucarha quotes,
“’Simplicity in Serenity’, somewhat of an incongruous term, for, although tranquility is to be found in the most basic premises, the path to awareness of this truth is likely to be fraught with difficulty, often intellectually exaggerated, usually theologically exacerbated, and most always laden with disillusion.”

She finds the term “simplicity in serenity” to be out of place as she first states this quote, but later on she agrees with the fact that tranquility (serenity) is on the path that is likely to be filled with difficulty, exaggeration and will be made worse. I saw that this statement connected with my view on how the path of simplicity may be complicated, but out of it, serenity will emerge.

To conclude these thoughts, I believe that simplicity in life brings in serenity, but only when all is done in the final stage, will you get that serenity.