Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2, VA

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

Page 1 of 2

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

71 comment(s)
ScarletCity
Though I can see your opinion, and I disagree, I must point out that The Giver did bring up a few ideas about how the brain would change if everyone- and everything- were equal.
Apr. 29, 2016 at 8:36 PM • Report
secretsdarkened
It's so interesting to find someone who doesn't like this book! I loved The Giver, and everyone in my English class did, too. I love the ending especially-it leaves the outcome up to you.
Mar. 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM • Report
Leanna_Rose
I can totally agree. I also found the book completely boring and mediocre.
Mar. 05, 2016 at 6:59 PM • Report
RunningTears
I don't agree with you're point of view but can understand why someone would hold it having different taste.
Jan. 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM • Report
NoushieRocks
The concept in The Giver was unique and interesting. It drew the reader into the story, but I feel the ending should have been more developed, even though there are sequels. Overall, I do recommend it to mature readers who can actually understand the hidden messages given in it. Perhaps people feel the story is boring because there isn't enough vivid or dramatic language used.
Dec. 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM • Report
Queenbee316
I am torn whether I liked this book or not. I did feel like it was a bit dull and I could tell what was coming next, but, I do feel that this book had a good Moral to it and was also inspiring. Jonas had to give up everything he had, his family, his job, and the safety of his home and community. You have got to have quite the amount of courage to do that! But, then again, I got really bored of the plot after awhile. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books like this, but never to someone who likes action packed adventure like myself.
Nov. 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM • Report
mysteryone
I've found this review very interesting, but I disagree. I believe Jonas left the community, not only for Gabe, but for "everyone". It pained Jonas to think his family and friends could never experience the vibrancy of life nor the depth of emotions. For these reasons, Jonas chose to leave. Contrary to everyone's confusion, the sled depicted a new life for Jonas. It'd become one filled with colors and feelings. Meanwhile,the sled was a vehicle to carry him to that new beginning.
Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM • Report
NoushieRocks
Thanks for explaining what the 'sled' incident meant and portrayed, because honestly I didn't quite understand what significance it had. Perhaps I would get it now, if I re-read it. (I read the Giver in sixth grade).
Dec. 14, 2015 at 3:51 PM • Report
EllieMayB
Um.... I read the whole Giver Series and loved it! I didn't really want to read it at first, but my mom said I should. I have read the whole series twice, and it never gets old. I loved it! You should give it try.
Nov. 05, 2015 at 5:05 PM • Report
ArtFowlerAkkey
Hey! I read this review and thought that I wanted to reply, so here goes: First off, you have given zero basis for your idea that this is a predictable story. What part of it was predictable? Why did you think so? Do you think it's something that you predicted, but the average man could not? When writing a review, especially a review on a Prize winner and classic, you're going to need to back your thoughts. As it stands, all your paper is right now is an opinion paper. For example: 'I knew from the beginning that they could only see in black and white. It was so obvious, because that's the only connection between the skin and the apple. Therefore, Fiona's hair was obviously red.' I did not realize this until it was revealed, honestly. I really don't know if anyone short of Oreki could have put those together. Saying something without hard backup from the book itself is an opinion. Ex: 'I hate Harry Potter because it is just so stupid. The characters are so cliche and idiotic. I mean, how unimaginative can you get, Rowling?' Naturally, this isn't true. Harry Potter is awesome. Secondly, this is actually a very imaginative book, especially in a time where fiction selections were so limited. In today's culture, it can be said that everything has already been thought of. In a few decades, it will be said that everything has been written down (most likely, I'm guessing). Most people have a hard time imagining a world without color. It may have been similar to imagining e-mails back then. So I think it is fair to say that this is a very original book for it's time. Thirdly, you have to take into account the skill with which the writer portrays the story. He's very talented in making the conversations seem natural and easy. This is especially true for the family conversation scenes, where the teenager is facing a similar dilemma to that of this world's teen when he struggles with lying to his family. The author is also very good at withholding information until the right moment. He's good at portraying the different emotions in Jonas as her feels these new experiences and explores the new world open to him. Both of these skills really help the story along. I'd also like to say that I love your summary of the story, which is short and precise. Good job. Hopefully, I'll run into you again!
Sep. 15, 2015 at 1:35 PM • Report
Close