Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2, VA

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

60 comment(s)
justmyexistentialthoughts
I think you may have missed the point- it's less about the story and more about the meaning behind it, which deals with the importance of emotion and free will and the dangers of giving up our freedom for security. The book was written at a fairly low level, so I can agree with and understand your discontent with its writing and style, but the novel does have some worth. The Giver is not meant to be an exceptionally good story, but to convey a message, so I think if you go back and look at it from a more symbolic point of view, you might like and understand it a little bit better. @Bapalapa2
Aug. 06, 2015 at 4:21 PM • Report
Just_A_Username
I am stuck at a two way street with The Giver. Half of me wants to say that it is such an acclaimed novel because of the messages behind it, not to mention it is a dystopian classic. The other half is in agreement with the review writer. I thought Lois Lowry did a good job developing the story, but the only reason I continued to read it was because it was a required novel for school.
Aug. 04, 2015 at 9:16 AM • Report
KittyKat1419
Jul. 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM • Report
N.R.Anon
Excellent review, but why did you dislike it so much? Your review could use more development-but your writing is brilliant!
Jul. 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM • Report
RemusPenn
I have to say that I completely disagree. The Giver was written with a wonderful voice, the words were crafted expertly, and the plot was riveting. I never once found it to be boring or dull in any way, and I honestly feel you weren't really READING it. They don't give the Newberry Medal to any book, you know.
May. 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM • Report
LegendKeeper
Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)
Mar. 06, 2015 at 3:07 PM • Report
catty98e
I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion
Mar. 05, 2015 at 3:26 PM • Report
annycs13
In sixth grade my teacher made us rewrite the ending to the book because my whole class disliked it. It isn't a very good book, but the idea it conveys is very strong. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone as well, but I think that it's a very good display of a true dystopian world according to a dictionary's definition.
Feb. 09, 2015 at 5:15 PM • Report
jaydaug
My sixth grade teacher made my class do the same thing, for the same reasons. I was wondering if you were one of the students in that class.
May. 20, 2015 at 7:54 AM • Report
nishka9
I believe it depends on when you read this novel. The new books such as Divergent and The Hunger Games really brought out the Dystopian novels, but Th GIver really satrted the trend and people gained interest in the dystopian genre.
Jan. 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM • Report
Close