Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2, VA

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

56 comment(s)
RemusPenn
I have to say that I completely disagree. The Giver was written with a wonderful voice, the words were crafted expertly, and the plot was riveting. I never once found it to be boring or dull in any way, and I honestly feel you weren't really READING it. They don't give the Newberry Medal to any book, you know.
May. 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM • Report
LegendKeeper
Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)
Mar. 06, 2015 at 3:07 PM • Report
catty98e
I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion
Mar. 05, 2015 at 3:26 PM • Report
annycs13
In sixth grade my teacher made us rewrite the ending to the book because my whole class disliked it. It isn't a very good book, but the idea it conveys is very strong. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone as well, but I think that it's a very good display of a true dystopian world according to a dictionary's definition.
Feb. 09, 2015 at 5:15 PM • Report
jaydaug
My sixth grade teacher made my class do the same thing, for the same reasons. I was wondering if you were one of the students in that class.
May. 20, 2015 at 7:54 AM • Report
nishka9
I believe it depends on when you read this novel. The new books such as Divergent and The Hunger Games really brought out the Dystopian novels, but Th GIver really satrted the trend and people gained interest in the dystopian genre.
Jan. 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM • Report
SophieSchnitzel
The Giver was a REAL dystopian book. The most important thing for me in dystopian literature is to raise questions and The Giver did that. The problem with The Hunger Games and Divergent is that IT DIDN'T RAISE QUESTIONS AT ALL. I liked the Hunger Games and hated Divergent with a burning passion (sorry) but I was disappointed by both in that they didn't raise questions. They were barely dystopias. Well, they WERE dystopias, but all Divergent was for me was a romance (with dystopia in the background). YA dystopias these days are all "dystomances" and I HATE IT SO MUCH. What I like about The Giver is that it didn't have that. They put some in the movie, and even though it wasn't very true to the book I liked the movie because it raised lots of questions...Sorry, I got a little too into it. As you can probably tell, this is not the first time I've ranted about dystopias and the YA shelf of the library. Anyway.
Feb. 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM • Report
nishka9
@SophieSchnitzel I completely agree with you, although your opinion on "raising questions" differs for me since I thought Divergent and The Hunger Games were rather intriguing to me and did raise questions. The romance in each was a bit overpowering for the main point of theme behind them, I have to admit that.
Mar. 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM • Report
AlejandroG
Does anyone know that this book is part of a four piece set?
Jan. 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM • Report
EllyApolloRose
I do! I've read three of four, I have yet to read "Son".
Feb. 11, 2015 at 2:06 PM • Report
Close