Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Brooklyn, NY

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

Page 1 of 2

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

73 comment(s)
M501athletic
I respect your opinion on this book, but honestly I loved it. I like the suspense and change of pace in the book. It was very fascinating and had a great plot. But thanks for your review, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
May. 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM • Report
ScarletCity
Though I can see your opinion, and I disagree, I must point out that The Giver did bring up a few ideas about how the brain would change if everyone- and everything- were equal.
Apr. 29, 2016 at 8:36 PM • Report
secretsdarkened
It's so interesting to find someone who doesn't like this book! I loved The Giver, and everyone in my English class did, too. I love the ending especially-it leaves the outcome up to you.
Mar. 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM • Report
Leanna_Rose
I can totally agree. I also found the book completely boring and mediocre.
Mar. 05, 2016 at 6:59 PM • Report
RunningTears
I don't agree with you're point of view but can understand why someone would hold it having different taste.
Jan. 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM • Report
NoushieRocks
The concept in The Giver was unique and interesting. It drew the reader into the story, but I feel the ending should have been more developed, even though there are sequels. Overall, I do recommend it to mature readers who can actually understand the hidden messages given in it. Perhaps people feel the story is boring because there isn't enough vivid or dramatic language used.
Dec. 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM • Report
Queenbee316
I am torn whether I liked this book or not. I did feel like it was a bit dull and I could tell what was coming next, but, I do feel that this book had a good Moral to it and was also inspiring. Jonas had to give up everything he had, his family, his job, and the safety of his home and community. You have got to have quite the amount of courage to do that! But, then again, I got really bored of the plot after awhile. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books like this, but never to someone who likes action packed adventure like myself.
Nov. 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM • Report
mysteryone
I've found this review very interesting, but I disagree. I believe Jonas left the community, not only for Gabe, but for "everyone". It pained Jonas to think his family and friends could never experience the vibrancy of life nor the depth of emotions. For these reasons, Jonas chose to leave. Contrary to everyone's confusion, the sled depicted a new life for Jonas. It'd become one filled with colors and feelings. Meanwhile,the sled was a vehicle to carry him to that new beginning.
Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:35 PM • Report
NoushieRocks
Thanks for explaining what the 'sled' incident meant and portrayed, because honestly I didn't quite understand what significance it had. Perhaps I would get it now, if I re-read it. (I read the Giver in sixth grade).
Dec. 14, 2015 at 3:51 PM • Report
Pookie16
@mysteryone It's kind of an interesting question to think about: Do you think Jonas should have stayed? Would the community have been better off if he hadn't left? Yes, they wouldn't experience the "vibrancy of life [or] the depth of emotions" (I really liked how you worded that), but they would also never have to deal with prejudice, poverty, hatred, war, destruction, etc. Was it fair of the one person who knew there even was another way of life to make that decision for the rest of them?
Jul. 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM • Report
Close