The Pursuit of Happiness for 15K | Teen Ink

The Pursuit of Happiness for 15K

By mckittykat55 SILVER, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
mckittykat55 SILVER, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"The crippled cow never gave up

DADT, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, Gay Military, Equality.
However which way you want to brand or look at the gay ban in the military, it seems to fall flat.
Sure, there has been forward progress, before DADT, you HAD to ask, you HAD to tell. It’s improvement, but it’s not enough.

Imagine you’re a man, patriot, make a good living, and you simply listened when you heard Uncle Sam wanted you, yet you are denied access to serving the country because of a “condition” that will not and does not affect your ability to fight.

If that’s not discrimination, MLK is spinning in his grave as we speak. What’s next? What’s new? How can we continue in this war or any war if we don’t give anyone and EVERYONE the right to serve the country in a way they see fit? And while a judge has decided this is unconstitutional, it also being appealed and requested to be stayed by president Obama as I type this. It might not be what the founding fathers had in mind when they scrawled the famous documents that would shape the nation yet somehow, it still rings true.
that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness

Can someone please tell me when denying a homosexual man the right to serve openly in the military was helping anyone’s safety, 15,000 less soldiers in the military for an unnecessary reason is personally not my idea of safety or happiness and denying the right to the pursuit of happiness of a gay man or woman to serve in the military openly contradicts the fabric of the nation so many fight for, closeted or not every day

DADT has affected many