Scrubs | Teen Ink

Scrubs MAG

By Kelly Marvel BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Kelly Marvel BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

“Scrubs” has been one of my favorite shows for years. It's provided not just laughs, but endearing and interesting back stories that made me grow attached to every character. Even though the last season wasn't as good as I'd hoped, I was still reluctant to say good-bye.

The hour-long finale ended the series well, with occasional clips from previous episodes and satisfying resolutions for all the characters. But after it ended, someone decided that “Scrubs” still had something to give and brought it back for yet another season. Although this seemed a little odd, I wasn't going to complain. But to my dismay, the ninth season did not even come close to the quality of the first eight.

The quirky humor of “Scrubs” made the show different, but what really made it stand out was the way things turned out. “Scrubs” was never that sitcom that had the perfect happy ending. Instead it would leave things awkward and sometimes uncomfortable. People died, relationships that you thought were perfect didn't always work out, and sometimes a simple apology couldn't fix everything. This series had an aspect to it that was real and relatable to everyone. In the ninth season, that realness is gone, and corny scripts with typical endings fail to fill the void.

In addition, the cast made the show what it was, and when I realized that half of the original cast wasn't returning, I knew it didn't stand a chance. Even though John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox), Ken Jenkins (Bob Kelso), and Donald Faison (Turk) star in the series now, their characters don't work as well without the rest. Faison's on-screen wife, Carla (Judy Reyes), doesn't appear at all in the new season, without any explanation. Other characters who only appear for a few minutes or not at all include Elliot Reid (Sarah Chalke), the Janitor (Neil Flynn), Ted (Sam Lloyd), The Todd (Robert Maschio), Jordan (Christa Miller), and Doug Murphy (Johnny Kastl). Zach Braff's character, J.D., whom the series was originally based around, appears only occasionally in the new season, shifting the focus to other cast members.

The ninth season of “Scrubs” revolves around a new character named Lucy Bennett (Kerry Bishé). She is a less-neurotic version of Elliot combined with the daydreaming part of J.D. and the added twist of a horse obsession. Bishé's part might not be bad if it were a smaller role, but she not strong or rounded enough to be the main character. The new cast isn't horrible, but they have very big shoes to fill. As if a new cast didn't change the feel of the show enough, “Scrubs” also has a completely new set.

Despite my skepticism, I gave the new residents of Sacred Heart Hospital a chance, but unfortunately the new season quickly lost my interest. Overall the story lines seem strained and annoyingly predictable. Even viewers who haven't seen the past seasons will find a mediocre program that tries too hard for a laugh. “Scrubs” was smart and creative with believable emotions, but it ended for a reason.

CJbutterfly SILVER, Chattahoochee, Florida

\"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game\"

i agree with you. Scrubs is an amazing show but the ninth season couldve been alot better. I still watched. But without JD the show was not as good as i expected