Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

A Genertion of Passivity This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Bree V., Brooklyn, NY

"Me and all my friends
we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and
there's no way we ever could
now we see everything that's going wrong
with the world and those who lead it we just feel like we don't have the means
to rise above and beat it
so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change.”
By John Mayer

When I was little I was glued to the T.V. Everyday I sat at home and gazed at anything and everything: cartoons, the Discovery channel, MTV, and the news. People dying. Global warming. Kids drinking. These were some of the dreadful things I witnessed; however, I perceived reality as entertainment. I told my mom that I was going to be super-woman and solve every problem in the world.

Page 1 of 7

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

24 comment(s)
HereSheIs
You have some good points, but you're generalizing hugely and using stereotypes about teenagers more than hard evidence and ignoring the ways in which our generation has been quite active and past generations have been less than heroic
Apr. 29, 2017 at 1:08 PM • Report
WildKiwi
It all flowed very nicely. Using quotes was a clever way to get your point across and show your thinking. Great job!
Apr. 16, 2017 at 9:00 PM • Report
St.Jingo
The words flowed as smooth as my tears. Good job to you, bad job too our generation.
Feb. 20, 2017 at 7:55 PM • Report
Yld777
very good!!
Feb. 20, 2017 at 2:40 AM • Report
Hazel
All of this, every comment about teens society today and that song too, is so much part of my life. I feel this way every day and I always feel like I am the only one. Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one.
Feb. 06, 2017 at 9:18 AM • Report
Sparaxis
I live with passive people. They complain about everything going on in the world and expect ME to change things for them.
Dec. 09, 2016 at 8:00 AM • Report
vanessa.ochoa
I really like how this piece relates to me and many other people. It has a meaning to it that really explains what many people go through. Good job!
Sep. 02, 2016 at 3:57 PM • Report
Littlemustangfilly
I really like this and I think there's a lot of truth to it and it feels like the few of us who want to make changes have our voices drowned out by those who are busy blaming others for the world's problems or are telling us we can't make a difference and should quit before we even try. My old school liked to use a quote by Margaret Mead. It said ," Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world;Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." The people who go around trying to blame other's for the worlds problems are wasting their time. We shouldn't be trying to point fingers. That too is passive because it's an easy way for people to make themselves feel better but all it does is create new problems and with all of the world's issues, we cannot afford more problems.
Sep. 01, 2016 at 11:01 PM • Report
YoungGreenShoot
This is perfection. You mention surfing the internet in a negative light though, remember, the internet is mostly beneficial- after all you posted this on the internet!
Sep. 01, 2016 at 7:43 PM • Report
Izzy777
Wow!!! So great
Aug. 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM • Report
Close