Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Genertion of Passivity This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Bree V., Mesa, AZ

"Me and all my friends
we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and
there's no way we ever could
now we see everything that's going wrong
with the world and those who lead it we just feel like we don't have the means
to rise above and beat it
so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change.”
By John Mayer

When I was little I was glued to the T.V. Everyday I sat at home and gazed at anything and everything: cartoons, the Discovery channel, MTV, and the news. People dying. Global warming. Kids drinking. These were some of the dreadful things I witnessed; however, I perceived reality as entertainment. I told my mom that I was going to be super-woman and solve every problem in the world.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

12 comment(s)
Nattapon
I'm even more afraid of the next generation to come. In the future, technology will be so much more advanced and that will make it so much easier for kids in the future to be passive. Parenting will be so much harder too...
Jul. 26, 2015 at 11:49 AM • Report
Megan
I loved this it hit me like been smacked in the face I could really feel the passion whilst reading this
Jul. 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM • Report
mylifeasapincushion
I don't know... I just can't help but find my self disagreeing. Just from the people on this website I have seen the voices of our generation and they are far from passive.
Jul. 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM • Report
PleasedToMeetYou
I'm SO glad to read something like this!  You are spot on!  "Action in our eyes is disobedience; however, this defiance is the basis of our passivity."  Brilliant, just brilliant.
Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM • Report
BuddingAuthor
Finally, someone who spoke up about the falling standards of normal in this time! I am so glad, cause i though my friends and I were alone! I try to do what I can, and I told my best friend to do what is her.
Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM • Report
LegendKeeper
Whoa! I'm not the only teen who thinks this way!!! Awesomeness!!!!!!!! (Me, in my house, thinking celebratory music, with maybe the epilouge version of 'do you hear the people sing'.)  
Sep. 06, 2013 at 12:26 PM • Report
YriaValiente
I really agree with you. I feel as if I can't fit in with others for this reason, I worry too much about how this world will end up in the hands of my messed up generation. I am aware that there will always be exceptions to this, which I am really thankful for. Seriously, is it really too much to ask why the students/young adult around me implement change in the world now rather than wait for it? This frustrates me so much that I want to truely start a revolution of my own in which I find a way to encourage people to actually go against this passivity to actually find their passions that can also help save this generation and future ones to come. I do admit that I've hadn't really implemented much change on what I'm passionate about, but after much thinking, I've decided that maybe this is the way to start. I feel so ashamed by how blind I was before becoming a sophmore, my apathy to everything around me, even though I had the resources to find out more. I hope that this illuminates many more adolescents that have the priviledge of reading the omnipresent truth.
Aug. 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM • Report
readlovewrite
I suppose I've already proven you right just by reading this ( as teens now have such passive and unproductive hobbies as surfing the web when we could definitely be doing something more productive things right now) but there are exceptions amongst our generation. I think it would be great if you included more about the exceptions, to help make an even more proactive piece! Good writing!
Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM • Report
bookmouse
As has already been said, there are exceptions -- but not enough! Our generation needs to know that helping doesn't mean being superman, it can be easy and simple: volunteer. Step 1: use Google or ask friends to find a local soup kitchen or animal shelter or other charity Step 2:  find out when they need help Step 3: Get out there and do!
Jul. 05, 2013 at 5:49 PM • Report
Laugh-it-Out
I have been waiting for this article for a while, why I'd dint write it myself.... I don't know. Brilliant job, 5/5 stars. I can't even tell you all the petty drama and pointless things I witness everyday. It's disgusting. And the sad part is that I participate. But starting this year, I have begun to distance myself from these things, and I thank you for getting other people to to the same. We are indeed, " waiting for the world to change"
Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM • Report
Close