Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Genertion of Passivity This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

"Me and all my friends
we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and
there's no way we ever could
now we see everything that's going wrong
with the world and those who lead it we just feel like we don't have the means
to rise above and beat it
so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change.”
By John Mayer

When I was little I was glued to the T.V. Everyday I sat at home and gazed at anything and everything: cartoons, the Discovery channel, MTV, and the news. People dying. Global warming. Kids drinking. These were some of the dreadful things I witnessed; however, I perceived reality as entertainment. I told my mom that I was going to be super-woman and solve every problem in the world.

Page 1 of 7

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

18 comment(s)
vanessa.ochoa
I really like how this piece relates to me and many other people. It has a meaning to it that really explains what many people go through. Good job!
Sep. 02, 2016 at 3:57 PM • Report
Littlemustangfilly
I really like this and I think there's a lot of truth to it and it feels like the few of us who want to make changes have our voices drowned out by those who are busy blaming others for the world's problems or are telling us we can't make a difference and should quit before we even try. My old school liked to use a quote by Margaret Mead. It said ," Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world;Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." The people who go around trying to blame other's for the worlds problems are wasting their time. We shouldn't be trying to point fingers. That too is passive because it's an easy way for people to make themselves feel better but all it does is create new problems and with all of the world's issues, we cannot afford more problems.
Sep. 01, 2016 at 11:01 PM • Report
YoungGreenShoot
This is perfection. You mention surfing the internet in a negative light though, remember, the internet is mostly beneficial- after all you posted this on the internet!
Sep. 01, 2016 at 7:43 PM • Report
Izzy777
Wow!!! So great
Aug. 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM • Report
TheShakespeareSpeaker
Painful to read, but it is very true. Keep writing!
Jul. 08, 2016 at 12:14 PM • Report
TheShakespeareSpeaker
Jul. 08, 2016 at 12:14 PM • Report
Nattapon
I'm even more afraid of the next generation to come. In the future, technology will be so much more advanced and that will make it so much easier for kids in the future to be passive. Parenting will be so much harder too...
Jul. 26, 2015 at 11:49 AM • Report
Megan
I loved this it hit me like been smacked in the face I could really feel the passion whilst reading this
Jul. 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM • Report
mylifeasapincushion
I don't know... I just can't help but find my self disagreeing. Just from the people on this website I have seen the voices of our generation and they are far from passive.
Jul. 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM • Report
PleasedToMeetYou
I'm SO glad to read something like this!  You are spot on!  "Action in our eyes is disobedience; however, this defiance is the basis of our passivity."  Brilliant, just brilliant.
Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM • Report
Close