Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Addressing Racism by Ignoring It This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Kari S., Tiburon,

According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, renowned scientist and geneticist James Watson recently left his post as chancellor of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory after receiving criticism for racist comments. He apparently stated that he was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours whereas all the testing says not really.” This comment is not only discriminatory, but it has no scientific support whatsoever. So why did the media report the offensive remark? Giving attention to bigotry only strengthens racism.

To eliminate prejudice, we must reduce its impact. As counterintuitive as it may seem, I believe the best way to eradicate racism is to ignore it.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

6 comment(s)
Maybe if we pretend the Klan isn't real, they'll go away
Jul. 10, 2015 at 2:16 AM • Report
Sounds like a reiteration of the infamous phrase: "Separate but equal".
Apr. 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM • Report
Ignoring racism doesn't eliminate it. All it does is allow racist to continue to be racist without anyone standing up to them.People will just ignore racism and pretend it doesn't exist while it will still very much go on. Ignoring your problems won't eliminate them.
Feb. 05, 2015 at 9:29 PM • Report
Provoking. I however, think it's wrong. If we bring out every injustice and point out all racial slurs in a shameful manner people will get the picture that racism IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. By ignoring it they think it doesn't bug us so they think it's acceptable
Feb. 05, 2014 at 12:27 AM • Report
Sallyshine black people are not all thugs and "swagger" most of them behave the same as us and I find it racist that u think that  
Feb. 05, 2014 at 12:28 AM • Report
@RealAdviceforgirls I'm glad you said something because i was going to go off on @Sallyshine for that racist comment even if it was 5 years ago.
Feb. 05, 2015 at 9:33 PM • Report