Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Prayer Ought to be in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By GodChick, Leander, TX

Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

23 comment(s)
Caleb.Andrews
How in the world was such a ghastly article published in the magazine? My respect for TeenInk just took a major blow...
Jan. 26, 2015 at 11:13 PM • Report
SomethingWitty
I could not possibly post a response to this in the form of a comment, so I wrote my own article on it. I would love if you (the author of this article) would read it and respond however you may. The link is here:

teenink.com/opinion/spirituality_religion/article/678823/No-a-response-to-Prayer-Ought-to-be-in-Schools-by-GodChick/
May. 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM • Report
Virgil
So, as I began reading this artical, I thought it was satire. Then I actually kept reading and realized that you actually believe what you're saying. SO, I am going to try to do what it seems the Texas (shocker) education system is incapable of doing. The US Constitution was orignially founded with (yet not upon the) basis of religious freedom and other liberties. What you ar arguing is that forced prayer should be brought back into schools, and I would be inclined, for the progression of education, to disagree.  If we were to take everything which was at a point in the original constitution, or stated by one of the founding fathers, we would still be in a country in which women (and blacks) could not vote or own land. Women and blacks would, once again, essentially be property. Marriage would once again be owned by religion (even though marriage is actually older than most modern religions).  Just think about this. Think about the cruel domino effect for which you are asking...
Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM • Report
JesusandHisLawyers
Thanks for summing that up neatly for me, ha. Another thing: You can pray in school. Nobody is going to stop you unless you're being discruptive (so doing it vocally while a teacher is talking). I doubt anybody will care. 
May. 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM • Report
CharleyLatta
It isn't a big deal if you pray in school, but making everyone else pray with you is the issue.
Feb. 08, 2014 at 11:46 PM • Report
writinggurl
What if people old you to take you opinions somewhere else? ( I would not do that) but I mean teachers and school are allowed to teach evolution which i dont believe in but still have to listen to. Why is it a big deal if I pray in school? If you and others are allowed to denounce God and Jesus then I am allowed to announce God and Jesus just as much as you are!
Jan. 08, 2014 at 9:38 AM • Report
JesusandHisLawyers
Nobody cares if you pray in school. It's not illegal to pray in school, FORCED prayer is what is illegal as the public education system is secular, as it should be.  And evolution is taught in school because it is backed up by sound scientific evidence. If you have anything to dispute that evidence, step up to claim your Nobel prize. 
May. 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM • Report
Shepherd
Would you feel the same way if I wanted to start Islamic and Jewish prares? 
Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM • Report
TimexxFlies
Yes. It's all prayer
Oct. 05, 2013 at 1:07 PM • Report
SomethingWitty
I'm a devout Pastafarian and I can gaurentee that if I were to pray to His Holiness, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, I would be ridiculed. Why can I gaurentee this? Because it has already happened.
May. 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM • Report
Close