Believe it or not. | Teen Ink

Believe it or not.

By chocolateluvr BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
chocolateluvr BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

Believe it or not.
“Raindrops fall down to Earth, but teardrops fall down my cheek.”

I heard nails scratching against a window, felt the presence of the wind catching up to me to throw me back down, and saw a faint glowing blue light that was subsiding as time went by. I was about to die. It was a sudden thought but, I was locked between the haunted tree that swallowed people, who would never come out again, and the monster that was about to attack me from behind. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t move. All of a sudden I found a person who was motioning forward with his hands. I took the sign as to follow him. At that moment I didn’t care about the tree or the monster who was falling me. For some odd reason I felt safe and secure because of the luring of the stranger. Once he started escorting me to a place I have never been, I realized that person in front of me looked very much like my father that had died in a car accident eleven years ago. He had the same deep sensitive eyes and the same crooked smile he’d use to wear. I asked him who he was just to make sure I wasn’t imagining or dreaming. He just nodded silently, but formally and gestured his hands toward me. It was my dad. The same loving and caring dad that would hug me close and take whatever I handed him on Father’s day. I came close to him. He looked solid to me but at the same time he looked like an angel sent from heaven above. I couldn’t tell at the moment what he was and I didn’t care. The only thing that mattered at that second was that my father was with me holding out his hands waiting for me to embrace them. A glistening teardrop had fallen on his soft cheek. I could not hold my emotions any longer and I hugged the biggest bear hug that I could give at the minute. I was in wonder of my dad. Over his shoulder I found a small red notebook next to a tree calling me with the soft whispering of the wind.

I woke up with a start and sweat all over my face. You know when you are dreaming a dream where you’re falling into a dark never ending pit and you appallingly wake up suddenly. That was what I experienced. I don’t know what happened. I got out of bed and washed my face in the bathroom. I put a little makeup on and got dressed. My mother was calling me for breakfast but I really wasn’t that hungry so I told her that I would be going to school without it. I was about to get in the car when I saw my friend Michael. He was my best friend ever since the first day of Kindergarten. Michael was a tall bulky guy, but was really nice. “Can I carpool with you Marianne,” said Michael. “Sure, hop in.” We drove to school. My reputation at school is very high. I am smart, popular, and very athletic. I am seventeen and I am on the high school cheerleading team. I am planning to go to John Hopkins University next year but I don’t know. We got out and headed for the doors. My school’s name is Springdolphins. I went inside and searched my friend Julia. I had to talk to her. She was usually at somebody’s locker discussing if she looked okay. I went over to my locker and put my stuff away. My fist block class was Math and the rest of my day was as boring as that….

Finally the last bell rang and I found my group of friends chatting next to the staircase. I headed toward them. We collectively went to cheerleading practice that day. Once that was over, I took Michael home. It was once again a typical day all over again.

My mom was waiting for me at the door like always welcoming me home from a long day. I got chips and a soda for a snack and I went to my room to do my homework. I didn’t know what had happened to me next. I think I might have fainted. But my mom offered to take me to the doctor and I told her it was probably from not having enough food that day. I have been having these random blackouts lately. I would feel like I was in another body moving elsewhere and not where I was supposed to be, in my bedroom. I wouldn’t know though. I looked at my alarm clock; it was nine o’clock. I had a little bit of dinner because I was starving from a long day. My day was long so I went to bed early that day and the minute my head touch the pillow I floated in my dreams.

My dad’s spirit was sent for a reason and I had to find out what that reason was. He took to me to a hill that showed a sunset. Sunsets always remind me of forgiveness. Maybe that was why he brought me here. He sat there and l lied there on my back beside him. We watched the yellow and red streaks which brought warmth into me. I asked so many questions that he couldn’t respond to any of them. But he couldn’t respond because he couldn’t speak. I looked in his troublesome eyes and wondered why. He found a stick and wrote in the dirt, “I can’t speak, but I can listen.” I nodded curtly. My curiosity spread for miles and I asked so many questions that I haven’t even thought of what I was saying. My mind was going nuts. But I didn’t care as long as I was getting answers. He wrote in the dirt again. “ I have to leave in soon.” I asked if I would see him again and he nodded strongly.

It was finally time for his departure. I said my goodbyes and gave him my last hug. Once again, I saw a small red notebook that said “diary” on it but my eyes were filled with tears to notice it.

I woke up again with a shake and perspiration on my forehead and my back. I felt like I had worked my butt off in a 5K race or something. I went to the kitchen and got a drink of water. “Mom, I don’t think I can go to school today,” I said. My mom said it was alright. In my room, I just sat there thinking what was going on with me. I felt like this yesterday when I woke up. I was thinking of the dream last night. How can a dream like this happen? This dream has been continuing for the past five days, just continuing what happened the night before. I grabbed my blue sweater that I received on my 17th birthday and headed out for a walk down the beach. The shiny pearl like moon was fading as the sun took over its place. The sand was sliding underneath my feet as I glided across it. The dream I have been having was starting to creep me out. It felt so real but how can it be? I can imagine it so perfectly like imagining your dream house. I can describe the surroundings so clearly that it had to be real. The thought was ridiculous. Just when I was about to give up and think about needing a psychiatrist, I found the red book on the bench that said “diary.”
I felt like the book had a shield around it so that there was a code to pick it up. I don’t know why but I felt like the book shouldn’t be picked up. That it shouldn’t be even looked at. The ambiance around me was like a repelling magnet between the diary and me. I felt like I was going to make a run for it, but the book was luring me in to open it. I was so confused. I felt like I have seen it before. Then I realized that I see it in my dreams every night. I sat on the bench and went into the black clouds in my head once again.

Once my dad was gone, I felt so scared all over again. I somehow knew that I was safe though. I was searching the “diary” that I saw earlier. I looked at the spot where it was, but it wasn’t there. That was the weirdest thing. It was there about two minutes ago and now it wasn’t there. I didn’t know what to do, until I saw what the dirt had said before was gone and there was a new message. It said I love you Eleanor in my dad’s fluent handwriting and it also said to meet me here again the next day at the same time.

I woke up with Michael eyes on me. “Michael!” I said. He jumped wiping away his tears. I didn’t understand why in the world he was crying. He looked at me scared and said in a whisper, “You weren’t breathing!” “What are you talking about Michael I just fainted,” I said. He said the same thing over and walked off muttering to himself. I have only seen him act like that when he is serious. And most of the time, he takes everything as a joke. I started to worry a little bit. I had to research more. I had so many signs of something, but I didn’t know. I looked beside me and the small notebook was gone. I went to the library in such a rush that I knocked over an old lady.

I found so many books about the random occurances I keep having, but none of them fit together ‘till I found a book called I AM CONFUSED by Meredith Princeton. I kind of laughed at it, but I picked it up because that was how I felt at the moment. The librarians were pushing people out since it had five minutes until closing. It was about 4:30 pm. I checked out my book that I didn’t think was much of a help. I went home and laid the book on my table. I got dressed in my pajamas and opened the book. It said this:

If you have any signs of the following, please please read the rest of the book. Sudden loss of consciousness, breathing irregular, dreams that seem so real, or exhaustion. This may seem ridiculous and a lot of people won’t believe what I have to say, but there have been past reports. You have a supernatural ability that you can use for the good or for the evil. It is difficult to explain. There is no word for this ability but just be cautious with it. There have been many cases of people who have had this power. First let me explain everything you need to know. This is an ability that people can be born with or people can choose to exercise and practice it. If you are born with it, you usually will start experiencing these symptoms at around age fifteen or later. It takes about fifteen to twenty years to practice and successfully achieve this power if you want to learn to use it. This power is an ability to seek another place but remain in the same spot the entire time. This place can be anywhere in the universe. For example, you can travel to Disney World but remain in your bedroom. This type of ability happens usually when you’re asleep. The soul is taken from your body and moved another place. The real body then is “dead” until the spirit comes back to it and that’s when the body wakes up from its sleep and is active. How do you use it when you’re awake? Well, it is impossible to tell how, but most figure out on their own. The rest of the book is about the history and real occurrences that have happened in the past.

This small bit of information is the most shocking news I have ever heard in my life. This explains everything, the book that keeps appearing, the random fainting and blackouts, and my dad. My dad. I can’t believe it. I have been with my dad without even knowing it. But why is he here and how? I need to find out the answers. If I went to sleep I don’t know what I would be expecting. Would I see him again or would I be in the middle of a dilemma. I have the only bit of information that I have found in the book, I just read. This was bizarre to even think of. First of all, I found out that I have a supernatural ability that can make me go places without leaving the spot I am in. Second, I have been seeing my dad for the past five days when he is dead. Third, I have been seeing this diary in and out of the “real” world and my “dream” world. This is something that is needed to be kept secret. This was too much to take in all at once, so without even knowing, I laid on bed and fell “asleep.”

My dad was waiting for me, at the pond that was there, faced in the other direction. I thought of jumping on his back, but I didn’t do it. He looked stressed, depressed, and annoyed. He turned around at my approach. My smile had washed away the minute he looked at me with his sad eyes. I asked him what was wrong. He just stared off into space. He took out a paper and pencil and started to write this:
Marianne,

There is a specific reason that I called you what you are called now. Marianne means loyalty, as you may know already. But incase you didn’t, there you go. I have to get to the point. I know already that there has been a book that has been following you lately called “diary.” What ever you do, please don’t pick it up and read it. The book is cursed and the only way to destroy it is by you. When I was alive I wanted to tell you this, but I couldn’t. I also found out that you discovered what natural ability you got from me. You can consider yourself as a witch or a superwoman, but you need to use the knowledge you have wisely. Before I died, there has been a spirit that has been following me. It was an evil one and it was the one who cut the wires so I couldn’t break in the car leading me to crash into a tree. I cannot explain everything right now. Sorry, What I need you to do is to kill the book by taking it to spot I will show you tonight. PLEASE REMEMBER TO NOT PICK IT UP BY BARE HANDS OR READ IT BY ANY WAY. I cannot emphasize this enough, but you I can only trust you and you have to be loyal to me. If you do not do this, your life may be at its end so please follow the instructions I give you. Okay? And also NEVER tell anybody about any of this. Not mom, not your friends, nobody. If you do, the same thing will happen to you as it did to me. Please follow what I tell you to do. I love you darling.

Love,

Daddy

I read the note quickly and stuffed it into my pocket and looked straight at his sharp brown colored eyes and said, “I think this is crazy but I will do it anyway.” He mouthed the words thank you and lead me to a forest. He took me to a tree that said, “Mr. Lindens Library,” carved into it. He took out another paper and the pencil he wrote with before. And he wrote this:

We are here, at last, at the tree of Mr. Linden’s library. This is a library passed on from generation to generation. It has a small door but I know you will fit in it. This is the place that I want you to bring the diary to and destroy. There is only one way to destroy it once and for all. A snake’s venom needs to be poured onto it and you are destined to do it. Inside the tree is a small library of about five shelves and a desk of junk. There will be a bottle of snakes venom placed in the top drawer of the desk. Just open it and pour it over the papers. Then, you are done. Come out and live life as before and your free. If you touch the book, you are tempted to read it. If you read it, then you can’t stop. If you read all of it, you WILL die. So the next time you see the book, pick it up with this special tissue I will give you after you are done reading this. You can only stay in the tree for only half an hour. Thank you Marianne. Also, this is our last meeting. The next time I will see you is probably after you are done with your life. So, please don’t do anything stupid and do what I say. Okay?

I was tearing up and the part that I wouldn’t be able to see him but I stayed brave. He gave me this cloth type tissue after I was done reading the note. I gave him the most greatest hug that I could give him. And then I saw the book over his shoulder for the third time. I told him secretly that there was the book behind him. He nodded and told me that he trusted me with all his heart. He kissed me for the last time and vanished into thin air. All I was left with was the cursed diary, the tissue, and the remnants of my dad’s sweet vanilla scent. I couldn’t believe all of this drama that was going on. I went to the notebook and looked at it very keenly and closely. I was going to pick it up, but I forgot the tissue. I picked up the tissue and used it to pick up the book. I wrapped the book like a birthday present and walked up to the tree that my dad told me to go to. I opened the door and it was pitch dark in it, but I slid in. There were five bookshelves like my dad said and a black and white desk. I went to the desk as slow as ever. My heart was beating faster every second. I was freaking out by the time I got to the desk. I dropped the book that was sitting there ever so still waiting for me to take it and start to read it. I found several bottles of fluid and I completely forgot what I was supposed to pour on it. There was lion blood, skunk urine, dolphin fat, and many more. I got really grossed out on all of them. I believed the thing that I was supposed to pour on though was snake saliva. I couldn’t remember. I didn’t have the second note with me, so that wasn’t that big of a help either. I didn’t have much time. I quickly poured the liquid over it. I couldn’t tell what was happening, but I think I was suffocating. The only thing that was written in the smoke was, “ You have only twelve hours left to live, Marianne.” And that was the hint that I did something terribly wrong. I put the wrong potion on the book.

I woke up crying and in my mother’s arms. I couldn’t tell her my “dream.” I had promised dad that I wouldn’t tell. I only had twelve hours to live and to say goodbye to the people I love. I spent my last couple of hours wisely with my mom. She must have wondered what was wrong with me, but she didn’t say anything.

The last hour, I wrote notes and letters to everyone I know and a really long one to my mom. Then, it was time to count down. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-……….. My life’s memories flashed before my eyes as I thought of how I let my dad down and how he depended on me so much. And then it was bye-bye to the world as I fell asleep next to the book that killed me and roots of the tree I was in twelve hours ago suffocating me slowly.

I lay in heaven now thinking of what I did and the memory that killed me. I am thinking of how I let my dad down and I still wonder who the next victim is for the “diary.” And I still wonder how something this bizarre is even possible. The only good news is that my dad forgives me. But I don’t forgive myself.
“He had warned her about the book. Now it was too late.”

I have always thought of decisions I had to make but I haven't made one that is life depending. So I made a story of a young girl who has a bizzare ability and how she ends life from it.

hello said...
on Dec. 11 2010 at 6:19 pm
awesome story. it shows a great situation to be in

on Dec. 10 2010 at 4:34 pm
chocolateluvr BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
This is amazing. Everybody has to read it!!!!!