West Virginia University | Teen Ink

West Virginia University MAG

Morgantown, WV: Let's go, Mountaineers! On crisp fall weekends, this is the cheer heard far and wide from West Virginia's Mountaineer Field, located in Morgantown, West Virginia, as fans show their support for the football team and the "Pride of West Virginia"- the Mountaineer marching band.

I want to go to West Virginia University for one reason: to see WVU play football. I've got family tradition at WVU. My brother, mother, father, aunt, and two uncles all went there. Because of this, I've learned just about everything about the college. The thing I know best about WVU has to be the football team.

I've watched every WVU football game since I can remember. I'm their biggest fan and ever since I could run I've dreamed of playing football there. Now since my high school doesn't play football, I know this is an impossible dream. But watching them play would be almost as much fun.

But WVU is much more than a football team. Established in 1867, West Virginia University, a major research doctoral-degree granting institution, combines a wide variety of academic opportunities offered by a major research institution with the atmosphere of a small school. Although the total student population is approximately 25,000, the undergraduate student/faculty ratio is 17: 1.

The university is divided into two main campuses, which are linked together by the country's only Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) system. Automated, electric-powered cars permit quick and easy access for students to all major university locations.

The university is made up of many different colleges, giving students a variety of majors and classes. Majors are plentiful ranging from doctors to gym teachers.

Besides the football team the other aspect of West Virginia that interests me is their Honors Program. Through this program students get first choice of classes and dorms. Other benefits are free internet access and special weekend trips. If you're a student who always pushes yourself a little harder, likes to be challenged to think and understand, then WVU's Honors Program is the place for you.

Despite what I said, I don't want to go there solely for football or because my parents did. Education is the sole reason anybody goes to college. WVU offers a good education at a reasonable price. They offer many courses and so many majors I'm sure all could find what they're looking for. I would suggest at least looking at a brochure. Hey, maybe someday you'll find yourself sitting next to me in the student section at Mountaineer field. f

Reviewed in 1997

i love this !