My Meditation | Teen Ink

My Meditation

By Tommy Roberts BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Tommy Roberts BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

Camping has taught me many things, but the most important lesson it has taught me is how to appreciate the little things in life. When I am camping I take the bare essentials: knife, tent, sleeping bag, and minimal food. Some people would think that this sounds horrible, but to me it is the exact opposite. When I am camping I feel completely at peace; all the little things in life come to me as being extremely important. From the soft heat of the sun, to a whispering wind, from the dull glow of the moon to the rare scent of wilderness, I look upon all the details with the utmost appreciation. Without the distractions of the city to clog my head I am able to enjoy the simple pleasure that is being alive. With my mind free of worry, it starts to wander. My mind floods with true appreciation and gratitude. The life that before seemed so stressful in the city, now seems perfect. As I notice the chirping of birds, the earthy tones of the landscape, and the tart smell of pine, my worries dissolve and I feel at peace. This feeling makes me think of how amazing our life is. As I awe at the beauty of the outdoors I realize that it is the little things in life that are truly important. Camping is my meditation.

I wrote this piece because I haven't been camping in a while and i really miss it.

on Dec. 23 2010 at 1:12 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Yes. Appreciating the small things, celebrating the good times, small victories and making the most of friends and family will take you a long way in life. What may be an ordinary task or activity for someone else, may be a huge problem for you. When you succeed in that task, it doesn't make it any more insignificant just because it may seem a s.tupid thing to be celebrating to someone else.