Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

America's Global Standing – How Well Liked Are We? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Trevor_Eakes, Dupont, WA

It's a common idea that Americans aren't very well liked by the rest of the world. Of course, there are exceptions, but generally we are given that impression, mainly through jokes. But is this more than a joke? Are Americans disliked by the rest of the world?

To tell the truth, as an American, I do feel guilty. For instance, a lot of Americans think ours is an incredibly generous country, but this idea is based purely on dollar contributions. When I researched foreign aid by industrialized countries, I found that the amount we give as a percentage of what we make (i.e. Gross National Product) is almost the lowest in the industrialized world, according to the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

It seems that we also have an intense desire to spread our way of life to the rest of the world, regardless of the damage done to other cultures.

Page 1 of 13

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Queen_of_Mediocrity
I liked your article, but I would suggest that perhaps "likability" is not the ultimate objective of foreign policy. You see, everyone will like a country that submits easily to the demands of others and sacrifices their own interests. The global arena is just that--an arena in which countries compete for power in order to improve lives for their own people at home. I personally would not want to live in a country with an "A" approval rating because such countries are small states with little to no influence in global politics. Just my two cents.
Feb. 03, 2016 at 7:12 PM • Report
Close