Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Diary of a Slave

By AshTree, Clarksville, TN

If a slave had been able to write, what would they say? If they were on the ship, no idea where they are going, how would they express this confusion and mix of emotions? In this story, I take on the persona of Asha Larai, a young twelve-year-old girl on a slave ship during 1624. Just five years ago, her parents were taken to become some of the first slaves, and now it is her turn. I give her a voice and let her speak with my knowledge. She bleeds through the paper.

Dear Diary,

I sit, surrounded by people not six inches away, underneath the deck of a boat. I stare at the bodies-rows and rows of bodies. Some left us because of disease, others old age. Holding my breath is pointless, the acrid smell never goes away and even when I do get off this ship, I will still remember that distinctive scent.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
MasterSun
Very emotional story. . .
Aug. 07, 2015 at 12:35 PM • Report
RomanDollaBill
Helped with a school project. Copy and paste works.
Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:02 PM • Report
gangster bieber
i lob it sa macho it very goods
Mar. 04, 2015 at 12:05 PM • Report
ohana.d
Touching diary about the sorrows and brutality of this rose.... Ash tree how did u recover this letter..? We can sympathise with them but someone who actually went through it can empathise with her... We're so happy it's all over and we greatly respect those who fought for their rights.
Oct. 03, 2013 at 2:41 AM • Report
GreekGoddess
Wow, this was relly good! As reading, the reader becomes completly abosbed in this character. She is no long ink on a page or particals in a coputer screen but a person in pain, a little girl scared to the bone. I like the way you were able to draw some past into this without it sounding unnatrual. This goes beyond well written. As I am rereading, I can't find a singal thing wrong, any tiny detail I would change myself. This is a wonderful peice of art (for thats what it's become). Keep up the marvolous work.
Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM • Report
Close