My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

By Meghan Luoma BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Meghan Luoma BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

“I’m an allogeneic donor - a perfect sibling match. When Kate needs leukocytes or stem cells or bone marrow to fool her body into thinking it’s healthy, I’m the one who provides them. Nearly every time Kate’s hospitalized, I wind up there too.” This is how life is for Anna Fitzgerald in Jodi Picoult’s realistic fiction book, My Sister’s Keeper. When Kate Fitzgerald’s parents find out Kate has acute promyelocytic leukemia they will go to any extent to cure her, even if it means having another child. That child would be Anna Fitzgerald. She is a perfect match to her sister, Kate. Anna was created to save her sister and she’s gone along with it, until now. Kate is in need of a kidney transplant, but Anna is finally putting her foot down. She sues her parents for the right to her own body, so she has the decision of when she does or does not want to donate. As soon as her mom gets the news in the mall about Anna suing her parents, the whole Fitzgerald family goes through a whirlwind of troubles. From Kate’s life slowly fading away, to Jesse Fitzgerald (Anna and Kate’s older brother) stealing a judge’s car. You’ll never guess the ending of the story and you won’t forget it either, so read the book to find the ending out!

Picoult did a wonderful job writing this book. I absolutely love how she gives each character a turn to speak by splitting the book into chapters for each of seven characters. Her writing styles let you get into the story better, and the descriptions paint a picture in you mind. From her word choice to her characters, I wouldn’t change a thing. The voices in the book are phenomenal. This novel has got to be my favorite!