Plants vs. ­Zombies | Teen Ink

Plants vs. ­Zombies MAG

By CalvinWu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
CalvinWu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The creator of Bejeweled, Insaniquarium, and Feeding Frenzy, Popcap introduces its fastest‑selling game yet: “Plants vs. Zombies.” This fun, quirky game will have you hooked for days. Yes, it is addictive, even if it is a E10+ (Everyone 10 and Up) tower-defense game. Just as Pokemon has changed the way people look at turn-based games, “Plants vs. Zombies” is revolutionizing tower‑defense games (without intense violence and blood). Whether you are a casual or hardcore gamer, a kid or an adult, “Plants vs. Zombies” will not disappoint.

The game involves you (the homeowner) collecting falling sunshine (the currency of the game) in order to lay down an arsenal of plants to defend your house against a mob of brain‑hungry living dead. Plants come in 49 varieties and there are 26 different zombies. Each perennial and zombie varies in appearance, health, firing speeds, walk speeds, attack ranges, price, personality, and more. The Peashooter, for example, costs a mere 100 sunlight and fires a normal damage‑dealing pea. The Snow Pea, however, costs a pricey 175 sunlight but makes up for this by freezing zombies and inflicting extra damage. A basic zombie is slow moving and easy to kill. However, a Football Zombie is fast and highly resistant to attacks, thanks to its protective helmet. As the game progresses, new maps are introduced and plants and zombies with different purposes come into play.

“Plants vs. Zombies” is so simple to play that instructions are not even included. The game introduces a new plant or game element each level instead of just throwing it all at you in the beginning. By letting players slowly grow accustomed to the game, even new gamers won't have difficulty understanding how to play. There's no long list of tedious instructions; just tackle the game head‑on.

“Plants vs. Zombies” spent three years in development, so it incorporates much more strategy than a typical defense flash game. In one level for example, it is a stormy night, and the map is pitch‑black, lighted only occasionally by lightning flashes. To pass the level, you must memorize the map and plant accordingly. In another level, you are given random packets of free seeds on a moving conveyor belt and must make the best use of whatever plants you receive in order to survive.

Bright colors, cute cartoony plants, and ugly (but not frightening) zombies make “Plants vs. Zombies” warm and welcoming. This, coupled with a spooky soundtrack and realistic sound effects, balances the game for younger and older players. It also features puzzles and mini-games that offer a change in game mechanics, such as the zombies become invisible, or they are fighting back with plant powers, or you play the zombies instead of the plants. The relaxed gameplay of Zen Garden mode and fast‑paced action of Survival mode will appeal to casual and hardcore gamers alike.

“Plants vs. Zombies” was picked by Gamezebo as one of the best games of 2009. It really says something when a minor E10+ 2-D casual game that takes up very little space in one's hard drive beats out dozens of 3-D action‑packed hardcore games that are rated T (Teen) or M (Mature).

on Mar. 19 2015 at 8:44 am
Brian110 SILVER, Jonesport, Maine

if life gives you lemons..... squeeze them back in life's eyes!

On my P.V.Z there are some fake instructions written by zombies, "When the zombies come don't do any thing, you win the game when the zombies reach your house..... Brains" but its really sloppy, I call it Zombie font.

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Nice review! I love Plants vs. Zombies too :)

Cookie64 said...
on Sep. 21 2012 at 9:25 am
I have played Plants vs Zombies on the computer and really like it. I dont know what it is about plants shooting zombies that amusing, but its a funny game. I would reccomend this game for anyone who wants to kill zombies in a new way.

writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You have to learn to love yourself before you learn to love others."

Calvin, I don't understand what you have against me. If you knew who it was, I mean. How's Stuy?

on Feb. 13 2011 at 11:20 am
writingrocks GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Calvin, you got published?