Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Blah Blah Blah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Katryna S., San Pablo, CA

When my mom speaks, it’s not my fault that all I hear is “blah blah blah.”

Because that is what she’s saying.

“I’m going out,” I say, and she looks at me in a sad way, shaking her head in confusion; I don’t think she understands me. I wonder why I bother announcing these things.

I slide across the floorboards of the entryway onto the porch. Rod is already waiting for me. I push aside the oleander-white sneakers on the shoe rack for the black, moth-eaten ones hidden behind them. Their soles are

so thin I can feel the texture of the ground. There’s a hole near the back. For some reason, this seems to bother Rod more than me. Once, I tried wearing the new white sneakers, but he stopped me, “You’ve always worn the other ones,” he said.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

10 comment(s)
So this seems like a good story, with a good idea but it does seem to be a little at a loss for explanation. I guess the idea of the blah's are that she can only hear people of her 'age', like as a child (under 18) she couldn't hear her mother, but as an adult she could hear her mother, but not her boyfriend (under 18). I suppose maybe the box is seen as a 'childish' thing, because thats kind of the idea I get from her only hearing the blah's. The only thing I wonder about is why he was taken from the room... Please correct me if I'm wrong with this explanation. Keep up the good work!
Dec. 09, 2014 at 1:16 AM • Report
interesting story with an unexpected ending...!!
Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM • Report
What was in the box?!
Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM • Report
we're all worried about an explanation for blah blah and ur worried about what was in the box? :D
Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM • Report
*sniffles* it could be important, ya never know! I wanna know! XD
Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM • Report
I wanna know! *sniffles*
Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM • Report
*smile* but what if it doesn't really matter what's in the box? what if the whole point was that her friend couldn't talk to her anymore? :D but it is making me curious...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM • Report
are you curious about the box or the blah blah?
Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM • Report
i think the box... and blah blah, like i want to know what they said.
Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM • Report
So do i!!!
Jan. 05, 2015 at 7:03 AM • Report