Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Katie S., Kewaskum, WI

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

22 comment(s)
TheEmcee55
This really could be the prologue to a novel... Great Job!!!
May. 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM • Report
SkyTekile
This is really, really interesting. I love how this is written--it leaves so many possibilities, and the way you obscure what exactly is happening is really, really good. The reader creates a bond with the words--something only the greatest of writers can do. I'll save this one to my favourites, thank you. :)
May. 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM • Report
Enigmaa
I THINK THIS IS AN AWSOME WORK
Nov. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM • Report
theatregirl
so supensful and creative. I hope there's an ending!!!! :)
May. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM • Report
DreamWeaver
I really liked this piece. It was creative and thought provoking. If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate you reading and commenting on my latest submission. Thoughts and constructive criticism would be invaluable to me. Great work(:  teenink.com/fiction/all/article/644215/The-Word-Keeper/
Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM • Report
Hbkooy
Wow, this story was so unique! I love how you made the main character so obsessive about time, and the end really makes you think! :)
Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM • Report
ChrisK
Great story. I love how you make it seem that when people have all the time in the world they actally have no time at all.  
Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM • Report
Pseudonym329
This is great. I would be honored if you read some of my work.
Feb. 07, 2014 at 9:06 PM • Report
Amina157
Hey great story, i'm not sure if i'm right but is the blood in the shower his dog, you should continue this with another story to elaborate on what happened because it's really good also please read and comment on my article thanks teenink.com/fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/578431/KOBi/
Dec. 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM • Report
Budgee
Man i wish you kept it going becuase it was so intreging. It was very well written and i hope next thriller you make (dont really leave the ending like that) but very nice peace. 
Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM • Report
Close