Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand.

Page 1 of 4

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

28 comment(s)
BackroadDiaries
I can feel the panic in the narration, good job!
May. 23, 2016 at 5:37 AM • Report
taymmarie
This is absolutely incredible, and honestly, I'm kind of obsessed with it. I'll definitely be saving this one!
May. 01, 2016 at 10:57 PM • Report
The_Edge
Brilliant! One of the best works I've ever read on TeenInk!
Jan. 12, 2016 at 7:17 PM • Report
prettypuppy88
Oh. OH. Wow. Ok. That's awesome.
Sep. 07, 2015 at 11:07 AM • Report
AlexKShorts
I think this is a great piece, I'm still trying to figure out what the ending could mean/represent though!
Aug. 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM • Report
NewtBeCute
Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I loved how you had the time down to the exact second, I could not get over that! I just love this!
Jun. 06, 2015 at 10:17 PM • Report
TheEmcee55
This really could be the prologue to a novel... Great Job!!!
May. 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM • Report
SkyTekile
This is really, really interesting. I love how this is written--it leaves so many possibilities, and the way you obscure what exactly is happening is really, really good. The reader creates a bond with the words--something only the greatest of writers can do. I'll save this one to my favourites, thank you. :)
May. 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM • Report
Enigmaa
I THINK THIS IS AN AWSOME WORK
Nov. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM • Report
theatregirl
so supensful and creative. I hope there's an ending!!!! :)
May. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM • Report
Close