Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Katie S., Brooklyn, NY

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand.

Page 1 of 4

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

33 comment(s)
LaurenKitty
The story definitely pulls you in the moment you start reading it. The way you described the time was probably the best part of the whole story.
Dec. 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM • Report
maddie2112
The story has me hooked. It pulled me in and I love how descriptive it is.
Dec. 07, 2016 at 12:49 PM • Report
elifseda
I love the description and detail in this story, it really makes you want to continue reading. Great Job!
Oct. 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM • Report
Backoff
wow, the description of time was interesting. Nice story here
Sep. 25, 2016 at 9:48 PM • Report
Screen_name:
Nice story! You can definitely tell you spent good time on this.
Sep. 02, 2016 at 3:54 PM • Report
BackroadDiaries
I can feel the panic in the narration, good job!
May. 23, 2016 at 5:37 AM • Report
taymmarie
This is absolutely incredible, and honestly, I'm kind of obsessed with it. I'll definitely be saving this one!
May. 01, 2016 at 10:57 PM • Report
The_Edge
Brilliant! One of the best works I've ever read on TeenInk!
Jan. 12, 2016 at 7:17 PM • Report
prettypuppy88
Oh. OH. Wow. Ok. That's awesome.
Sep. 07, 2015 at 11:07 AM • Report
AlexKShorts
I think this is a great piece, I'm still trying to figure out what the ending could mean/represent though!
Aug. 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM • Report
Close