Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Katie S., Kewaskum, WI

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

25 comment(s)
Oh. OH. Wow. Ok. That's awesome.
Sep. 07, 2015 at 11:07 AM • Report
I think this is a great piece, I'm still trying to figure out what the ending could mean/represent though!
Aug. 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM • Report
Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I loved how you had the time down to the exact second, I could not get over that! I just love this!
Jun. 06, 2015 at 10:17 PM • Report
This really could be the prologue to a novel... Great Job!!!
May. 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM • Report
This is really, really interesting. I love how this is written--it leaves so many possibilities, and the way you obscure what exactly is happening is really, really good. The reader creates a bond with the words--something only the greatest of writers can do. I'll save this one to my favourites, thank you. :)
May. 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM • Report
Nov. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM • Report
so supensful and creative. I hope there's an ending!!!! :)
May. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM • Report
I really liked this piece. It was creative and thought provoking. If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate you reading and commenting on my latest submission. Thoughts and constructive criticism would be invaluable to me. Great work(:  teenink.com/fiction/all/article/644215/The-Word-Keeper/
Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM • Report
Wow, this story was so unique! I love how you made the main character so obsessive about time, and the end really makes you think! :)
Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM • Report
Great story. I love how you make it seem that when people have all the time in the world they actally have no time at all.  
Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM • Report