September 2001 | Teen Ink

September 2001

2001 was a very hectic year for the US. The country kept getting a lot of threats from other countries. No one wanted to believe them till one of them actually came true. Osama bin laden and the Al Qaeda terrorist organization were blamed for it. They flew planes into the world trade center and caused them to go on fire and blow up. They also flew a plane into the pentagon.
9/11 wasn’t the only event that happened in 2001. A big event that happened was Wikipedia going online for the first time. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia to get information and anyone can go on and write about the topic. So it gives facts but people can also write their opinions on there if they decide to write about a topic. Wikipedia is the 8th most viewed website in the US and they get about 10.65 hits a day. When people need to write a paper or get information for anything they just go and search it. We have used it a lot and it helps us. Another thing that happened in 2001 was George Bush getting sworn into office. January 20th, 2001 was either a happy day for people or a sad day for others. Like every other president he had people who liked and him and others who disliked him. A lot of people don’t like him because he is pretty much the one to blame for the war were in now. He also stared a tax cut that people didn’t think was fair because they say it only benefits the wealthy. They also say he waited a long time to do something about hurricane Katrina. People like Bush for the “No Child Left Behind” law. The law is making sure that kids are getting the best education they could possibly get. It’s also making sure that kids get teachers who are going to give the best possible education they can get. It’s making sure that kids reading abilities are good. There giving them more exams to test what they know and see how the law is affecting kids and families. In 2006 he told congress to allow about 12 million illegal immigrants to get jobs. Even though they were temporary, it still gave them jobs. They called it the “temporary guest-worker program.” But, he also sent 6,000 troops to the border between America and Mexico. They were there to make sure no one came into the country illegally. For people who dislike people coming into America illegally it was a good thing. He also helped those who had Medicare. He provided them with assistance to help pay for all the prescription medicine older people need/ed. 2001 had different events that happened

A lot of different events happened in 2001, but the one I think America will remember forever is September, 11th. That day families and people were devastated. People lost members of their family, friends and people they worked with. It came out of nowhere; just like that people were dead. It’s not like they knew it was going to happen to them. They couldn’t say bye to their families and people they loved and knew and now there’s nothing anyone can do about it. It affected us as people and the way the country is. We have to be careful with every move we make and what countries we can trust. Now at airports everyone has to get searched before they enter their gate/flight. They make you take off jewelry, shoes, belts, and other things. Then they make you go through metal detectors and if it goes off they search you. People also make racist comments against Muslims. They think since Muslims attacked our country, that all Muslims in this country will do the same thing. The group who was responsible for all of this is al-Qaeda. They were led by Osama Bin Laden. He would basically tell them what to do and they would do it. The group comes from Afghanistan. They say that they did this to the U.S because we support Saudi Arabia and Israel. We also have sanctions against Iraq. 9/11 left a big impact on the American people. A lot of police officers and rescue people from around the country came to New York City to assist in the recovering bodies. Also they had a lot of blood drives around the country so they could help out the victims who were hurt from the attack. There were over 3,000 kids who either lost both parents or lost one of them. 1,762 New York residents were killed by 9/11 and 674 New Jersey residents were killed. 343 NYFD and paramedics died, 23 NYPD died, and also 37 port authority officers died. There were 1,402 people that died in tower one and 614 people in tower two.” I don’t think contributors to the various September 11th funds thought that their donations would be caught up in so much red tape and become a source of frustration to families.”
- Elizabeth McLaughlin, September 11 widow. This widow is basically saying that the people who attacked us didn’t think it would cause so much damage and pain to our country and families. “Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror” – President George W. Bush. The president is also saying that these victims of 9/11 didn’t know it was coming to them. Just like that their lives were over, by people who didn’t think it would end up the way it did. Not only was our country and people get affected, but it changed the way we now think of other countries.

Things can just happen without anyone knowing what’s coming. The events that happened in 2001 defiantly prove that. There were a lot of good things that happened in that year, but also a lot of bad things. I think that 2001 will always be a year America will remember.

I was inspired to write this piece because it was something that I had to go through in my life time so I will always need to remember it.