Religion In Schools | Teen Ink

Religion In Schools

It is hard to go a day in my school without hearing something of religion or God or something of the fanciful sort. There are posters throughout the school detailing of upcoming Christian events and even a club for Christians-it's quite interesting to be the one of the few (if not only) secularly minded person in my school. It is in this context that I feel the need to point out a few things about the separation of church and state.

Whereas public schools are provided by the state and for all, they should be properly executed as free facilities for all in what a school's purpose is-to LEARN. Not to convert or to praise or anything outside of the mere goal to teach and learn. The only purpose of a school is for students to learn what is set forth for them to learn. Social interactions are a big part of school for students, but they should not concede to religious activities on school grounds. Prayer groups and religious groups on school property are demeaning to anyone not of the affiliation and outcast those very people. Thus the inclusion of religion in school serves to exclude and by way of this method convert the ones who think differently.

There is a very serious clause of separation of church and state that runs in our country. It follows in the 1st Amendment that no religion ought be included or excluded in public facilities like a school. There should be no gods in school. It serves no end to anyone other than those who believe and they merely stand in the way of secular progress. Our government is secular and our schools ought be secular. Until the day when the religious will admit their faith has no place in schools and the government it will be a battle because of their strict stubbornness on simple matters that can be explained rationally, but then again rationality and religiosity do not exactly match.

It is a shame that schools accept the cults of religion when their place is clearly outside of school. If gangs aren't accepted, with their own views and terrible histories, then why accept the intolerant and ignorant religious groups?

on May. 7 2011 at 12:36 am
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

People of one religion tend to think alike. Therefore, they have a club.

If I like chess, I join the chess club. If someone says, "Wait! You can't have the chess club because I personally don't like chess", it would not be tolerated. 

Similarly, if someone wants to express themselves after-school (not even during class), let them. After all, I have an LGBT Club in my school with posters and everything. That definitely is not within the bounds of strictly "learning".

I agree with Mikey123! If you don't like it, don't look at it. Its not hurting you.

Mikey123 said...

It is impossible to seperate the church from the state because by defenition, the church is the people.

It you don't want to be 'converted', you don't have to. You don't even have to listen or look at the posters in your school. Just ignore them. You got to get used to it because there is alot more of it all in life.