Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Victor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Hillary L., Stony Brook, NY

He was not a pretty sight. Eight pounds, eight ounces, and a whole lot of wrinkly skin. I had told my mother that having a brother would ruin my life and this first impression did not change my mind.

Victor was born in the middle of my freshman year. I was not looking forward to it and imagined hours of hellish screaming and smelly diapers adding to the mess which was my life. Not to mention, the little fellow had no eyebrows. That bothered me.

I was determined not to let myself fall in love with this silly child. I had heard sappy stories about babies changing lives with cute smiles and wide eyes but as far as I could see, Victor was definitely not up to par in terms of adorableness. He did not charm me with his tantrums, stubborn ability to scream himself red in the face, or the spectacular jaw strength he showed when he bit me - a charismatic trait it was not.

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!