The Tree and The Moon | Teen Ink

The Tree and The Moon

By jessicags GOLD, San Diego, California
jessicags GOLD, San Diego, California

"I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten - happy, absorbed and quietly putting one bead on after another." Brenda Ueland

The Tree was intimidating; how it stood above everything else, almost watching, as if it knew everything and saw everything. The Moon rose high onto the sky like it did every night and loomed over the Tree. The Moon could remember the day the Tree had come out of the ground and had begun to grow. The years had gone by for the Tree; it had been alive so long it could not remember if it had seen spring or summer first. But the Trees lives were nothing compared to the Moons. The Tree, not knowing this, believed himself far above the Moon and one night said to him, “How high am I that I look below my branches and see far above your spots Moon. Did you know? You have always looked up to me”
The Moon smiled a sad smile and looked down at the Tree, “I have watched you grow Tree. Did you know? If you had ever looked above your own branches you would see that it is you that has always looked up to me.”