Gossip- we need to stop | Teen Ink

Gossip- we need to stop

Gossip stinks. It makes you feel so awful and so good at the same time. Most people don't even realize they do it. I will be the first to admit, though I am definetely not proud of it, that I have gossiped many times. When we gossip, some petty little satisfactory feeling goes off in our brains and it makes us feel better about ourselves. Two years ago, when I was a sophomore, one of my friends got pregnant by rape. She told a few people what had happened, and one girl betrayed her confidence and told the whole school, except she twisted the story to make it HER who raped the GUY. Now, while she has to be a single teen mother, everyone still thinks she is a bad girl and calls her names. While that seems so cliche, it really hurts her. Someone posted really rude comments on her facebook wall, saying that she was "going to Hell for what she had done". It got so bad that she had to change schools for a few months. Just imagine if that was you. Imagine that you were pregnant by rape. Then imagine telling some of your close friends, so they can support you. Next, imagine the whole school calling you bad names because of something that wasn't your fault. If people, including myself, would work on trying to be less gossipy, I think the world would be a much better place, don't you?

I hope that people will stop gossiping. I know that it is probably not going to happen, but I want the world to be a better place.