Gifted (part 3) | Teen Ink

Gifted (part 3)

By superkoala BRONZE, Little Valley, New York
superkoala BRONZE, Little Valley, New York

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
~Oscar Wilde

That is weird, I thought. What would she want with me? As I waited for her to continue, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between this old woman and Corrick.

“Well deary I can’t help but wonder what is going on in that head of your’s”

I frowned “um sorry but I couldn’t help but notice that you look like a…” pausing I wondered if I could really call Corrick my friend. I mean I just met the guy and we sort of bonded, but were that really grounds to call him my friend. So I finished with “an acquaintance of mine”

The old woman looked at me with her dark eyes. As I said before her hair was a sandy color and her attire was probation era. She also looked very healthy and well built. What did this woman do before she died? Obviously, she didn’t play bingo at the firemen’s club on Wednesdays.

“Miss? Um not to be rude but why are you here in my school?” I asked, rocking back and forth. Why was she here in the first place?

Instead of answering me, the old woman turned back to the mirror. She dug into a purse that I didn’t notice at first. She dug and dug until she found a small tube of lipstick and a locket. “Here” she said and placed it into my hands. Ok now…what am I supposed to do with this, I wondered.

The old woman smiled and said “there for you. I noticed that your lips need a little color and I thought you would like that necklace. I certainly can’t wear it anymore.”

I didn’t know what to say. It wasn’t every day that some dead person gave me presents. “Thank you but you never answered my question, why are you here?”

“Oh” the old woman said in surprise, “well I thought that would be the simple part”. As the old woman was about to speak, a group of freshman busted in. Quickly I turned to the mirror and applied the lipstick to my lips. The group of dimwitted girls also went to the mirror and blabbed about gawd knows what.

When I escaped the group, I knew that the old woman wasn’t there anymore. Sighing I place both of the new objects into my pocket and headed back to the lunchroom.

Well that woman wasn’t the vaguest woman there was. There have been worse, that I have met. There was one time, I tried to help a person that spoke old English and it is hard to help him when he can’t speak normally.

Nevertheless, that old woman was vague. Turning I saw that people were leaving the cafeteria. Oh, was I in there that long? I hadn’t even noticed. As I walked to get my stuff, I ran into Raven who had the stuff I brought carried in her arms. “Thank you you’re a life saver.”

She handed me my things and asked, “Where did you go? I had to deal with Whitney flirting with that guy all period”

As we started walking again, I groaned. My friend Whitney was….well there isn’t a nice way to put this but…she was inappropriate. Though she was nice, its just she did things that people frown upon. I knew because I was the only person (that would listen) that she always talked about this stuff with. Some of the stuff she talked about made me brush insanely. One time she said, “You blush now but when you finally try it, then tell me you don’t wanna talk about it”.

Whitney was pretty to give her that redeeming quality. She was Caucasian and delicate looking. The delicate looking part was no surprise considering that she was a fairy. Her eyes were dark blue and her lips were thin but not too thin. Her hair was long and light blonde. Mostly, from the entire one-sided conversations we had in art, she had a preference when it came to her “activities”.

As I was lost in my thought, I didn’t even hear what Raven was even saying. My mind kept wandering to the incident in the bathroom. Who was that woman? Why would she assume that I knew why she was there? Maybe she had been related to Corrick in a way, a grandmother then. I mean it couldn’t be a coincidence that the day he shows up there’s a ghost too.

The questions danced in my head all through history class, making it difficult to concentrate. On the other hand, even care that some dude was conquering lands that don’t even exist anymore. All I could think of was that old woman with the flapper dress on. Why, why, why, I wondered.

Then before I could fully comprehend it, the class was over. Off I was to art where I would either hear stories of what Whitney did last night or what I should do to get the wrong kind of male attention. So got up I went to art.
Art had always been my favorite class. The room was a little big considering the class size of 23. The ceiling decorated in peaceful scenery of clouds. The walls were a pasty yellow color and the tiles were of a traditional white. The room forever had the faint smell of paint and today paint speckles were what decorated the floor. Tables and stool were the only option to what we could sit on. Cupboards and cabinets covered the walls, each containing hundreds upon hundreds of colors to choose. Also, the cupboards contained all sorts of materials to choose.

As I entered the room I went straight to the cabinet that held my black and white, Pasco style, pencil drawing. Or what it would be when I was finished with it. After that task was done, I went over to the usual table that was farthest from the teacher. After I had settled, Whitney came into the room.

As she entered, I saw in her sparkling eyes that she had the most exciting news. I took a compact that I always carried out of my pocket and looked at my eyes. They were a bright red color along with other dull colors.
Whitney sat in her usual seat across from me. Her hands lay neatly on the table and I knew that the news she had was pure gold. I raised an eyebrow at that. What was so important that she had to do that? Then as I opened my mouth, she began to talk.

“So at lunch today after you left, there was this really hot guy and I decided to make him my new challenge” she said and then bit the bottom of her lip in excitement.

Then she continued on “he’s really, really hot. Oh I hope I can get him…” she was going to continue about this for a while, so I tuned her and her wild fantasies out. Other people came into the room then. Some were later then others like Derrick for example. He was constantly late for almost every class.

As soon as I thought this, he entered the room. “Hey” he said as he plopped into the seat next to me.

“Hey” I smiled, then went to work on my pencil drawing. A few minutes later when I really got into my work, I felt a strong sensual desire and a desire to rip someone’s throat out. Why was I feeling these things? Who the heck had desires so strong that I felt them? They were so sudden and fast I never expected it.

Looking up I saw that both Whitney and Derrick staring at the door. As I looked, I noticed that everyone else, including the teacher, were staring at the door. Frowning, I wondered what could possibly be at the door. Then I heard a familiar voice say “what?”

I smiled as Corrick came over to the table. Derrick beside me was shaking slightly and when Corrick sat down, Whitney was practically was sitting on him. I chuckled at there feelings towards Corrick. Corrick was nice for the most part, besides that morning when he called me a freak. So why would Derrick be so mean to him. Whitney I could understand but Derrick…I just couldn’t comprehend why he would be so mean.

“Hey” I said

Corrick looked at me “hey, so why did you leave during lunch?”

Oh crap, I thought, how was I going to explain this? As I was about to open my mouth to come up with a lie, Whitney beat me to it. “Oh Corrick she had a little mess to clean up wit another one of her friends, I know because she told me”. Whitney looked me. I could practically read her mind, well are you going to say anything?

“Um yeah that’s it I really didn’t want to tell any one but…” I shrugged. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Derrick look at me in total confusion.

The rest of class was Whitney interrogating Corrick while Derrick was silently shaking and glaring at Corrick. I sat there silent and felt awkward.
When the class was over, I was thrilled. So thrilled that I left in a rush. When I knew I was free of them I went to my locker. Gathering all of my things, I went to study hall.

you should read gifted and gifted(part 2) before you read this part.

RobbieTheGirl BRONZE, Indianola, Iowa

"And no one get's eaten by a yetti." Josh Gates
"Is he stalking her?" Peter Burke
"I'd have to look up the legal definition," Neil Caffery
"I never forget! Remember! I never forget!" Billy the Kid

This is amazing! I am dying to see what comes next!

AussiMusicLover BRONZE, Central Coast, Other

When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams
The hottest love has the coldest end.
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop
Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.

Welcome :)) Always glad to help :)) ...Just remember to keep your head held high and smile :)) x

~Oscar Wilde

ok thanks :), i"ll do something along those lines.  i really appreciate ur help :)

on Jul. 7 2011 at 1:09 am

The hottest love has the coldest end.

Well to continue on from this piece i would probably start off with her about to drive home  but her car doesnt start and Corrick comes and after talking he ends up driving her 'home' untill she realises that he's going somewhere else.. then he tells her bout him (his immortal or watever powers) or watever else .. then eventually he drives her home :)) (i dont know weather to include her telling him about her powers but yea) So thats what i would have done next :))) Hope it gave you some idea ... or two :P :D

~Oscar Wilde

i am gonna write till is apoprox. a book but im stuck so could you give me a suggestion...or two?

on Jul. 5 2011 at 2:38 am

The hottest love has the coldest end.

haha i meant :D not :S heh, i know its a stupid mistake but you could take it the wrong way :P

on Jul. 5 2011 at 2:37 am

The hottest love has the coldest end.

Welcome, you deserve it :)) I have a question... Are you planning to continue writing this story untill you finish approx. a book? ... Cuz this would make a hec of an awesome book, and id pick it up anyday :) All the best.. your number #1 FAN :S haha <3

on Jul. 4 2011 at 9:47 am

~Oscar Wilde

thankyou :) that really means alot to me

on Jul. 4 2011 at 5:50 am

The hottest love has the coldest end.

...Im in love with Corrick already xD And i love your work by the way.. its really amazing :))