You're Not In Love | Teen Ink

You're Not In Love

By Poetic_blue SILVER, Palm Bay., Florida
Poetic_blue SILVER, Palm Bay., Florida

"Be who you are because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter"

It's amazing. It's absolutely, undeniably awesome. Nothing can change that. Being in love makes the whole world better, and brighter and blah blah blah. Ok, no. That is what everyone thinks love is, and quite honestly, it's not.
Love is a goofy, funny, I-can-totally-be-myself, there's-no-better-feeling, weird, totally crazy thing. It's knowing that no matter what happens, you can face it if you've got the person you love by your side. It’s wanting what’s best for that person, even if you aren’t it. It’s being able to let the person go if that’s what makes them truly happy. It’s putting their happiness above your own, not because you think you should, but because if that person isn’t happy, you’ve no chance of it either.
That is what falling in love really is. And you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT do that in a month. Or two. Or even six. It takes years of getting to know each other, having stupid fights, driving each other to the point you almost want to be done with the whole thing but you don’t leave because something you can’t even name is holding you there. It takes spending so much time with each other, that you ought to be sick of it, yet you find yourself texting him/her to meet you so you can talk about something random, like why the sky is blue, or why penguins walk the way they do. And you wouldn’t have it any other way.
Yet people today seem to throw love around like it’s not as huge as it is. Girls talk about how much they love their boyfriends after 3 weeks. No, you’re not in love with him. You might be in like with him. Maybe in like-like. But not in love.
And just to be clear, that all pertains to being in love. Telling friends you love them, as long as you didn’t meet them yesterday, is OK. I do that. There’s just a difference between being in love and loving someone. I believe loving someone comes first, then you’ll fall in love.
These days, people say it way too soon, and it takes all of the meaning out of it, and that’s really awful in my opinion.

I hear couples at my high school telling each other how in love they are, and the next day they break up. I want to grab them and scream at them. These are my thoughts.