Super Junior E.L.F Forever | Teen Ink

Super Junior E.L.F Forever

By ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey
ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

"Either way, change will come. It could be bloody, or it could be beautiful. It depends on us."

Around this time last year I had only just begun to appreciate Korean pop music. Among the various artists that had been introduced to me was Super Junior, a thirteen-member boy band. Although I had yet to know it, they were far from the boy bands I was used to. Super Junior debuted in 2005 as the largest group in the music industry at the time. They started with twelve members with training varying from years to months in numerous fields of entertainment. The members are Leeteuk, Heechul, Hangeng, Yesung, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook, Kibum, and Kyuhyun, who was added the following year. They are down to ten members now, but their fans love and support them as much as when they were thirteen. They have released five albums; each as highly anticipated and widely received as the last. On every album the men of Super Junior have demonstrated spectacular vocal skills as well as phenomenal dancing abilities. While promoting their works and their group the members have shown dexterity in other areas of entertainment. Super Junior has illustrated that they have the resolve and talent to dominate the industry.

One of the secrets to Super Junior’s success may lie in their pure vocal talents. No matter the style of the song, they create a beautiful harmony full of passion and dedication. Whether they are singing individually or as a group, each member’s voice has power and emotion that can only be admired. The finest example of their abilities may be found on their third album, Sorry, Sorry. With ballads such as “Love Disease”, “Reset”, “Dead at Heart”, and “Let’s Not…” Super Junior showcased their best vocalists with raw emotion and superb choral force. All of the members have unique voices that stand out on their own while also melding perfectly together with the rest of the group. For example, in the song “Sapphire Blue” from their second album, Don’t Don, they go into the chorus together in a thunderous harmony that leaves you slightly breathless from the sheer intensity of their combined voices. Whether the song is upbeat or more subdued, the members sing it with skill and fervor.

Super Junior is not only vocally gifted but also possesses remarkable dancing abilities. With every song they release they bring with it a dance that captivates their audience. Their most engaging dance performance is probably “Sorry, Sorry.” When they released the title track in 2009, fans all over Asia were mesmerized by Super Junior’s smooth and sexy dance moves. It was so impressive it inspired dance covers by scores of fans, including inmates at a prison. No matter the style of the song, this group always brings exciting dance routines that display their obvious dancing talents. Amazing choreography is not limited to the full Super Junior unit. In 2009, when Super Junior-M, the sub-unit directed toward the Chinese market, released “Super Girl” it became an instant hit throughout China and all over Asia. Fans were in awe of their cool, sophisticated dancing and many were quick to learn the steps. Super Junior has proven that they can dance as passionately as they sing.

Over the years the men of Super Junior have shown that they are gifted in more than just music. In some ways they have paved the way for idol singers becoming entertainers in every sense of the word. Many of the members have branched out into acting, modeling, hosting, and even performing humorous skits on TV shows. In 2007 all of the members (except for Kyuhyun) starred in the movie Attack on the Pin-up Boys. Although the movie didn’t do very well, they still showed they were capable of making the switch from singing to acting. Aside from that movie, a lot of the members have starred in various TV dramas and movies while still performing with the whole group. In terms of modeling, the men of Super Junior (individually and as a whole) have shot advertisements for everything from clothes to contacts to phones to even chicken. They have endorsed products from many Asian countries and appeared in magazines in various countries as well. The members of Super Junior are no strangers to reality shows and hosting. Since they debuted they have been on eleven reality shows where they were the main hosts or guests, all of which had very great viewership. In every show, the members always showed their personalities and entertained the viewers. With each show fans got a closer look at the many relationships within the group and were able to see the members as more than just singers. Besides TV, some members of Super Junior have also become popular radio DJs. Heechul, Leeteuk, Yesung, Shindong, Eunhyuk, and Kangin all have or have had well-liked radio shows. Although they are on the radio they never forget to show their quirky personalities while joking around and interacting with listeners. Along with all of their other activities three members of Super Junior (Leeteuk, Shindong, and Eunhyuk) are regular guests on the talk show Strong Heart where they perform funny sketches and chat with the other guests and make them show off personal talents. Whether they are performing on stage or endorsing everyday products or documenting their lives on camera, Super Junior always allows their fans to see every side of their personalities and, in that way, become closer.

Over the six years since they debuted, Super Junior has become one of the most versatile group of performers in the industry. They have exceptional vocal abilities that never fail to capture their fans’ hearts. They have exhibited astounding choreography that is nothing short of inspiring. And they have proven themselves beyond the fields of singing and dancing. The members of Super Junior are true entertainers that have literally changed the K-pop world. With every album their success grows more and more and it may not be long before they dominate the Western music world.

Although I've only known about them for a short time, I absolutely adore them and love everything they do. With this essay I attempted to put down in words how amazing they are. I hope my efforts were worth it.

ELFfoerver said...
on Sep. 27 2013 at 9:43 am
I love SuperJunior forever,and I believe ONLY13 forever.SUJU with ELF happy newly-married!Fighting!

Nhito2 BRONZE said...
Nhito2 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

"Reach for the Moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars." - Les Brown
"60 seconds is all I need for this story" -Kim Sunggyu

I love listening to Super Junior!  "It's You" is probably my favorite song out of all of them. Yesung fan! hehe... Super Junior forever!

on Nov. 30 2011 at 11:16 am
ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

I fell in love with them the same way. First I fell in love with their music, then I started watching their shows. I literally spent hours watching them and even then I still couldn't get enough. I really enjoy seeing them no matter what they're doing.

chocolateheartz BRONZE, Bronx,NY, New York
Love Super Junior =) I remember how my friend was showing me all these korean bands and songs including big bang and 2pm. However, in the end, the only band that stood out to me was super junior. She showed me No Other by them and at first I was like, its nice. The next day, I felt like listening to it again and the second time, I got really intrested in it. The song was good and the guys were sooooo cute and handsome. and then i watched it the third time and i was OFICIALLY HOOKED. I couldn't get enough of thier winking and smiling and their sweetness. Then it got even BETTER when i watched some lives of no other. Their performance blew me awayyyyy and how they had fun during the lives like high fiving each other, having little inside jokes on camera. And thier smiles and voices... ahhhhhh. And THEN I started watching some small clips of them on youtube and they were soo funny and relaxed off stage. I just basically wasted hours and hours watching little videos of them like when they had that thing where they would pour water on someone if they were found sleeping on something thats not a bed. And then came the variety shows where we got a better view into thier personalities and all that coupling and omg. Watching them can make u really smile and laugh lol. feel like a stalker. kk let me stop ushering over them. this comments getting so long but yea, this is how i fell in love with super junior =)

browneyedcat said...
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
Yay an article about my fav k-pop group! Very well done. My fav is Kyuhyun. He's so hot lol. :P

GemSola said...
GemSola, Lexington, Massachusetts
Have to say this article made my day! I've been a fan of SuJu for about two years ish now. Friends got me hooked on Sorry Sorry and it alllll went from there! Been addicted every sine :)

ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

I enjoyed EHB, too. I also really liked Unbelievable Outing, the Super Junior Show, and their mini-drama show; they are hilarious. I can't really say who I like the most, but lately I've been really liking Sungmin; he's like a cute cartoon mouse.

Inkling BRONZE said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 12:17 am
Inkling BRONZE, Cape Coral, Florida
Haha! Same here. I love watching them, especially when they were young and goofy. One of my favorites is "Exploring the Human Body." I was just rofling the entire show from start to finish. As for my favorites: Donghae first and foremost, Heechul, Leeteuk, Eunhyuk, Sungmin, Yesung, and Kyuhyun. I really love them all and each of them has something special about them. Can't wait to see what else they come up with! :]

on Aug. 19 2011 at 7:48 am
ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

Thank you. I actually learned about them through Super Junior M. I can remember sitting in front of the computer for days wastching anything that involved Super Junior. Even now, I'm still looking for any shows they appeared on. It's a bit of an addiction, but I'm okay with it. Do you have any favorites? Mine are Donghae, Kyuhyun, Leeteuk, Kangin, Siwon, and Sungmin; I find them absolutely adorable.

Inkling BRONZE said...
Inkling BRONZE, Cape Coral, Florida
Great article about SuJu! I'm like you in that I also just about a year ago discovered them. My first experience was stumbling on their "No Other" music video on Youtube which just took my breath away. Since then I've been hooked. I agree that they are extremely talented in many fields and I love how they are themselves and not a character in front of the camera. Well I just rambled on there didn't I? ^_^ I hope with this article some members of the TeenInk.community will come to appreciate their work too. Awesome job!