Let's Talk Religion | Teen Ink

Let's Talk Religion

“What do you believe,” or rather, “what do you believe in,” are questions that are presented in our early adolescences up to the beginning of our adulthood.

Most of us are raised in a one religion based home environment and stick to it. Others also come from a one religion oriented home but change their views later on. Then there are those who get (not have, some don’t) the chance to make a decision concerning their religious beliefs. Don’t forget the “non-believers” as we’re so charmingly referred to as.

It’s true that the religion we were raised with can/will be our religion of choice because either that’s what we’re comfortable in believing in or we’ll be ridiculed by a family member because we had rather change. And there is nothing wrong with that. But that doesn’t give you the right to preach your beliefs to others patronizingly unless you have given other religions a chance. Who knows, you might find that you like being a Catholic better than you do being a Baptist.
Religion is like pizza. There are so many different kinds to choose from, that it seems impossible to choose. How do you know you don’t like anchovies if you just eat cheese and pepperoni all your life? How do you know you don’t like being a Satanist instead of being a Christian? Who is to say that their bible is what really is right and wrong?

All I’m trying to say is that, don’t force your beliefs on someone who doesn’t want them and are happy with their own views. You don’t see them shoving Wiccan or something else down your throat, show a little common courtesy and do the same.

The purpose of this is to persuade and encourage you to try new religions and nothing more. I’m not saying your views are wrong either.

savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Well done. :)

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

We should definitely be courteous. However, religion isn't like a pair of socks, that you can just change whenever you want, or pizza, where it's simply an opinion if you prefer pepperoni or anchovies. If there's an objective truth, then our feelings shouldn't colour the facts.

As for 'non-believers', I didn't know that was offensive. What else should I say? O.O

Tabansi BRONZE said...
Tabansi BRONZE, JACKSON, New Jersey
I couldn't agree with you more. I always tell people about my views on faith, but only if they really want to know or seem interested. I feel that everyone's entitled to do whatever they wish with themselves. I respect all believers, as well as non-believers. Whatever works for you, works for you.