Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2, VA

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
maya
this is so sad and his mom is evil.
Mar. 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM • Report
_liluuuh
After reading this book, I was shocked. David was beaten, burned, stabbed or starved by his father. She did all the things a mother should never do to their child.
Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM • Report
bratney
Well after the frist time I ever had to read The CHILD Called "IT" back in middle school for reading an writing class I do remember a little bit about the book but what I do remember is that was one book. it reminded me of myself an everything that was bad in my own life if dave an were both to an me write a book of my life write this the book of "IT"
Feb. 13, 2015 at 11:53 PM • Report
birtas
Good job. It was a great review. You explain very well what the book is about and you don’t tell us too much which is great because than we wouldn’t have to read the book. You make us get exciting so we will want to read it. It worked for me though. I can’t wait to read the book.
Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM • Report
ImmortalRose
Thats a little harsh.
May. 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM • Report
Close