Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Bapalapa2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Brooklyn, NY

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death.

Page 1 of 2

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

10 comment(s)
BlackYellowTiara
I literally just finished this book last week, I had to keep from crying, i read it in one night. It was ... heart wrenching
Feb. 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM • Report
Blackpixie456
This novel made me cry a lot... Like it's really sad to know that someone went through this!
Jan. 06, 2016 at 2:23 PM • Report
DietCoke
You guys: It's not as simple as that the mother is evil. The mother, or monster, was probably suffering by some sort of mental disease. Something I have always wanted Pelzer to do was write a sequel from the dad's point of view.
Jun. 09, 2015 at 4:55 PM • Report
ronjon_3
It is as simple as that. She only treated one son like that. She didn't treat her other sons like she did David. And in none of the books, David never says anything about his mother having a mental issue. If she did have one, she would of treated all of her sons that way, not just him.
Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:58 AM • Report
stephamie
i love this book
May. 08, 2015 at 11:20 AM • Report
maya
this is so sad and his mom is evil.
Mar. 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM • Report
_liluuuh
After reading this book, I was shocked. David was beaten, burned, stabbed or starved by his father. She did all the things a mother should never do to their child.
Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM • Report
bratney
Well after the frist time I ever had to read The CHILD Called "IT" back in middle school for reading an writing class I do remember a little bit about the book but what I do remember is that was one book. it reminded me of myself an everything that was bad in my own life if dave an were both to an me write a book of my life write this the book of "IT"
Feb. 13, 2015 at 11:53 PM • Report
birtas
Good job. It was a great review. You explain very well what the book is about and you don’t tell us too much which is great because than we wouldn’t have to read the book. You make us get exciting so we will want to read it. It worked for me though. I can’t wait to read the book.
Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM • Report
ImmortalRose
Thats a little harsh.
May. 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM • Report
Close