Living Within Your Means | Teen Ink

Living Within Your Means

By Freedom.ThroughPens GOLD, Alpharetta, Georgia
Freedom.ThroughPens GOLD, Alpharetta, Georgia

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Einstein

I’m a big spender. At least, I used to be a big spender. Now I’m spending my time in a different way – I’m learning how to spend less, get more and do less. That sounded pretty confusing (at least, to me it did). Over the summer, I began spending more knowing I was getting paid a significant amount of money at my job. Money can only go so far before you realize you’ve s*** it all away. Why did I buy all of these necessities I thought I needed? I became one of those impulse buyers for no apparent reason. I’d buy things just because I thought they looked squishy or gooey. It turns out everything I could ever need is right under my nose. I don’t need 5,000 notebooks for school. I need 4. I don’t need a pack of 600 q-tips. I need about 300. I don’t need Spongebob shower gel. Turns out that what Dove soap is for. Both complete the same task. Living within my means comes to mind after thinking about how much money I wish I didn’t spend. Then again, if I died at this very moment, I wouldn’t want all my money to be wasted, so I’m torn between whether or not I actually regret spending my money. On one hand, I want to save my money for future needs but on the other, I need to live a life. That’s why, I think, I was meant to walk this fine grass. Sara, one of my best friends popped that idea into my head a few weeks ago. Spending money can easily get out of control now a days. Look at how much crapola there is to spend out there.
Obviously, there’s the angel on the other side of my shoulder that’s telling me I need to get a grip and learn some self control. But do I really need to live within my means at such a young age? Right now I’m not even paying for rent, so does it really matter? Arg. Questions, questions. There are just too many of them.
I have this philosophy: live like a hippie. I’m envious of people who don’t brush their hair. Wait, I don’t brush my hair. So, that was a bad example. I’m really jealous of those who seemingly live in a dime a day. It’s possible. I love people who go about their days as if there is no need to pay taxes. (I pay for those of you who think that way). Nonetheless, I still have mad respect for people who live marginally. So is it crucial to live within your means? If you’re anal about having white picket fences, then yes, it is.
Put it this way, I'm about to go to college in less than a year, I need to learn that the superficiality of life isn't pertinent to my lifestyle. If everything I had blew away in a tornado, would I be okay? Sure. I'd be just fine. I would probably sob for a bit knowing I no longer had a working toilet, but would my iPod matter to me? No.