Teen To Teen: Let's Help To Stop Bullying! | Teen Ink

Teen To Teen: Let's Help To Stop Bullying!

By _SusanDenise SILVER, Detroit, Michigan
_SusanDenise SILVER, Detroit, Michigan

How does it feel to go to school every morning to get an education, but end up getting an ear-full of people calling you names? How does it feel to have to watch your back when you walk in your school's hallways because you are afraid people would be there to torment you, yet again. How does it feel to come home thinking and believing that the words that people say is true? How does it feel to come home crying with bruises on your body because someone decided to use you as a punching bag?

Bullying is a serious matter. Thousands of kids are being bullied every day. In recent studies 77% of students says that they have been bullied. Bullying can lead kids to depression and/or low self-esteem. The victims would feel unsafe at school and begin to focus more on their bullying problem then on their academic studies, therefore their GPA would dramatically drop. Bullying could also lead to suicide.

My question is WHY? Why do kids bully others? Maybe it's because they like to have power and authority over someone who they deem emotionally, mentally, or physically weaker than themselves. Maybe it's because they have low self-esteem and substitute that with picking on someone else. Maybe they do it for popularity or for a laugh. Maybe they bully them because they are different then what they or society consider the norm. What ever the reason may be, it is intolerable and should be addressed. If you know of someone that is being bullied or bullies someone else, tell someone. Tell a teacher, parent, counselor, etc. If you are scared to tell, make write an anonymous letter and send it to them. In the end the only thing that matters is that the bullying problem is resolved.

As a teen, i've seen a lot of people get bullied and tormented each day, and it's cruel for someone to go through that. There's serious consequences to bullying. I want teens to understand how serious this subject is and that us teens can do something about it.

Mr. Nether said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 8:04 am

Hey Susan,

These is a great article! This is a problem that obviously needs to be addressed. Keep up the good work.

Broadway said...
Broadway, Detroit, Michigan

"Well behaved women RARELY make history." - Marylin Monroe

I love this article. This is so true! people get bullied everyday and this is a serious problem in America! Keep writing Sussie! Your good at it! :)