A Golden Leaf, A Golden Memory | Teen Ink

A Golden Leaf, A Golden Memory

By ElvenSecrets17 BRONZE, Yorkville, Illinois
ElvenSecrets17 BRONZE, Yorkville, Illinois

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

A stray beam of orange light filters through the condensed golden leaves that clung to the branches of the trees. Stray breezes tickles her neck, just like on any other sunrise. The fair-haired Elven lady wraps her pale white cloak securely around her tall, sleek frame.
Her sapient eyes watch intently as a single leaf is swept off of one of the ancient mallorn-trees. Bright yellow sparkles appear whenever its vibrant side is facing the rising sun.
Slowly it descends, swaying gracefully in the air. A smooth and pale hand reaches out, and the fallen memento of the tree lands peacefully on her hand.
"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall," spoke a familiar and comforting voice.
"Such beauty and serenity she has tended to us with", says the first Elf into the solemn and quietness of the forest. "And yet now we abandon it to the torment of mortals"
The elven man delicately strokes the leaf lying lifelessly in her hand, then says, “The forest would suffer drastically more, if its beloved occupants suffered in its shade"
Carefully, he picked the leaf up, and positioned it on the perk of his wife's ear, then kissed it. The elegant immortal looked up with wistful eyes.
"Come Galadriel, Elrond waits for us by the sea. We must resume our place in the front of the march", said Celeborn. Her gaze wavered over to where a string of Galadhrim Elves walked smoothly over the ground. Leaves sprinkled lightly onto their heads, saying their goodbyes.
Galadriel took one last glance at her home, her garden, her forest.
"Much that once was...is lost. Farewell Lorien, may you once again find your golden beauty in the days to come. You shine almost as brilliantly as the tree Laurelin. And to her grave in the lands of the Valar I go" her toughness dwindled throughout the speech, and by the end she was sobbing against Lord Celeborns' shoulder.
"All will be better in the West. Lothlorien will be but a distant and pleasant memory" he whispered soothingly. And with that, Galadriel lead her people to the ships that would take them to Valinor. Soon she would return to the West, and truly feel her Noldor heritage again. Lothlorien would fade, but peacefully and with the dignity and fairness of the Elves.

I doubt that I'm the only Lord of the Rings fan that has wondered how Lady Galadriel could have said good bye to a place like Lothlorien. Although she was going to a place even more beautiful, it would still be hard to leave such an enchanting place. If you agree with anything in my little fan-fiction. then please say so. And if you disagree with my opinions, please say so! I'm interested more in the disagreements actually! I like hearing others opinions on this, because after all Tolkien did leave it up to our imagination :) I do not own Lord of the Rings or any characters/settings.