Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Polaroids This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By anatomyofthewrittenword, Shrewsbury, MA

“You ready?”

She startles and glances up, biting her lip distractedly as her eyes meet his. She looks away almost immediately and back down at her paper, her breath whooshing out in a faint sigh.

She drops her pen and notices for the first time how tightly she had been clenching it for the past two hours. She shakes her hand loose, trying unsuccessfully to work the achy stiffness out of her fingers, and silently berates herself for at least the fifteenth time since school let out.

Saying yes to spending an hour alone with the guy who you've been hopelessly in love with since fourth grade is not, and never will be, even remotely a good idea.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

44 comment(s)
So much emotion!!!! So many descriptive words that clearly describes the location and the dialogue and what each character was thinking. I imagined myself in this vivid story, watching the whole interaction. Keep up the work!
Jul. 08, 2015 at 6:30 PM • Report
Wow. That is amazing. Absolutely perfect.
Apr. 25, 2015 at 7:10 PM • Report
Oh my goodness this was adorable!!! It made me so happy! I love the imagery, and the emotions. It's so sweet! 
Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM • Report
This is most defintely one of the best stories I've read on Teen Ink. So beautiful, the writing flows so smoothly, and the ending is almost poetic, and absolutely perfect. :)
May. 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM • Report
Just beautiful :)
Mar. 02, 2014 at 1:01 PM • Report
Reading your story gave me a lovely.... Golden feeling inside. You captured a moment with so little speech and so much emotion. And I appreciated your use of the word "chiaroscuro" there. ;) What I did wonder though was why he would use Polaroids for a professional photography portfolio? Hmm, maybe for the specific effect. Anyways, it was a very cute touch to the scene. Great job!
Jan. 05, 2014 at 3:54 AM • Report
The ending was absolutely perfect <333
Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM • Report
this is definitly one of my absolute favorite pieces on this website. Absoloutly amazing
Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM • Report
Lovely piece, I agree with Trinabird aout the butterflies... it is very intimate and easy to relate to, but still surprising. Keep it up! I'd like to read any new romances you come up with.
Sep. 02, 2013 at 6:07 PM • Report
I'm usually not a big fan of romance, but you've definitely changed my view! This is beautifully written and even gives me the butterflies. :)
Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM • Report