Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Birds and Cages and Fire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Thesilentraven, Mableton, GA

A master asked his songbird if it dreamt
of open sky
It said “Lord, it created me, so I pray you
let me fly”
So, he opened the nearest window
And took hold of the feathery thing
And flung into the air a bird
With a pair of branded wings

The angels are fainting and they're falling from above
The lovers are frowning, 'cause they're
running out of love
Though Autumn's leaves are colored
They're beginning to die
And the poems are still breathing
But they're beginning to die

So our bird flew past falling angels, flew past rising men
Flew past crows who laughed and said that gladness is a sin

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
I've run out of words to say what it is like nor do I feel after reading these by you, that I am even worthy enough to do so so I shall merely say what it made me feel like, first a dawn of little understanding, could not hope to grasp it all,  then a deep sadness and then some relief and joy...  
Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM • Report
Well, it certainly has been a while since I last read any of your poetry—perhaps a bit too long. I hope you've been doing well, Raven. Anyway, once again, a great poem. As for your freedom comment in your note (well, I'm sure you've contemplated this already, considering it's almost been two years), but perhaps you had been thinking on it because, well, you were growing older. Thoughts of freedom tend to become more frequent as you get into your older teenage years and prepare to leave the nest...
Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM • Report
Also, congrats on getting published!
Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM • Report
I wrote the once, I feel its relevant: We are all flames, walking around on this street. Our bodies bonds are so neat I cannot stare at my feet without feeling the flame And we join And all our bonds with allign Well start a fire this time
Feb. 01, 2013 at 12:27 PM • Report
Nice job writing this! This was really well-written! Can you comment and rate some of my work?
Jan. 07, 2013 at 9:11 PM • Report