Trade A.J. Burnett for Jason Bay? | Teen Ink

Trade A.J. Burnett for Jason Bay?

By Dan1495 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Dan1495 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

If you expect greatness, you shouldn’t be surprised by it.
~ Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers

The year before his reign started in the Bronx, A.J. was coming off a career year. Many we’re aware of the 18 games he won, more though of how he breezed through the AL east. Against Boston he was 2-0 with a 2.60 ERA. Those we’re nice numbers, but when you’re talking about a career year you show off the type of numbers he had against his future team, going 3-1 with a minuscule ERA of 1.64. If you can’t beat them you sign them and that’s exactly what the Yankees did on December 12, 2008. The fans and the franchise knew themselves that what they were getting might of have been a fluke. Fans were aware that four years earlier they took a chance on player that just like Burnett won 18 games in his walk year. It was a gamble that they were willing to take but what they got out of him was absolutely nothing. When it was time to sign to Burnett fans were pessimistic but we’re willing to let go off the past. Well three years later we’re sitting in the same position we were during the 2008 offseason. Looking for a player to compliment our ace, C.C Sabathia. During his present time in the Bronx A.J. averages a 4.81 ERA and 11 wins a year. For guy that receives 16.5 million a year that’s just unacceptable. To make it even worse he allows a league high 27 homeruns a year. Considering that A.J. pitches in a stadium that has the dimensions of 314 in right and 318 in left, it doesn’t take much to hit it out. Especially since half of his outs come in the form of a fly out. Maybe he just isn’t suited to pitch in New York like many other players and should be looking elsewhere.

Now let’s take a look across town to a player named Jason Bay. A player who seems lost playing in left field. A player that was brought over from the Red Sox looking to put some pop into the lineup. He cashed in on the open market copping a 4 year 66 million dollar contract with the option of 14 million that would bring it up to a total of 80 million. Looking at his tenure in the flush city his option is almost deemed to be dropped but most people weren’t saying that at the time of his signing. Just months before he was picked up by the Mets he was coming off a career year just like our buddy Burnett was. Guess they have a lot more in common then we all think. He put up outstanding numbers such as 36 homeruns and 119 RBI’s. Fans we’re drooling over the idea of having a player like that play for them. Not only did he put up those superb numbers, but he did so in the toughest division, AL east. So coming from the AL east over to the NL east, the possibilities were endless for him. The only thing that was endless for him was his time in Queens. His first year with the team couldn’t have been worse as he put up only 6 homeruns and 47 RBI’s. Not only we’re those the lowest numbers of his career, but his season ended with a concussion. Critics we’re saying that he was pressing because of his contract. Others were saying he needed to get used to the deep dimensions at Citi field. So 2011 was a fresh start for him. This time around he only increased to 12 homeruns and 57 RBI’s. Those are great numbers for a lead off guy not for a so to say “cleanup hitter.”

Both A.J. Burnett and Jason Bay have had miserable times in their respectable cities. Both had statistics that were far better then what they have showed us during their time in New York. The Mets have rumored of bringing the walls closer to better suit Jason bays power. The Yankees have been looking for a team to take A.J. off their hands, so why not do a swap. Let’s look at the reasons why this would better suit both teams. Jason bay’s stats at Yankee stadium are far better than any visiting player. Putting up an average of .367, 2 homeruns and 11 RBI's. The power numbers might seem little but he did so in only 32 at bats. Can you imagine if he was a full time DH? The type of numbers he could put up? What about Burnett? A pitcher that is incapable of keeping the ball in the park pitching in a pitchers ballpark might not only bring his homerun total down but his ERA in general. Why go through all the trouble of reconstructing the stadium or having to eat A.J’s contract. Both players have two years and 33 million left on the table. Without risk, there is no reward so why not take a chance and hope for the best.

danny23 said...
on Oct. 26 2011 at 10:52 am
This story is a great stroy.... It opens my eyes to life.