Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Courtney C, Eaton, CO

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

30 comment(s)
Ilse_Spiropoulos
I can think of so many children you could be referring to. I feel like I know too many stories that this can relate to. It is sad that this is what our world has come to.
Apr. 04, 2016 at 4:07 PM • Report
markelly
The phrase “ Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen”, is such a powerful line. That line relates to me because I understand how it feels to be hurt, and to be unheard or unseen. This line is one of the most dominant lines in the poem and is true about how many people including myself feel. This is a great poem, and is touching.
Nov. 05, 2015 at 8:38 AM • Report
terialexander
I admire the line “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.” It brings attention to how much we take for granted when there are children our age fighting for their lives.
Nov. 05, 2015 at 8:34 AM • Report
AndreB
I love this peace it is honest about children who are soldiers. When you said “Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence” made me think about it. I thought how that is true and Man will use a child and take advantage of them.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 12:59 PM • Report
KingBrack
“These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of” I agree with this line because it verbalizes that child soldiers shouldn’t be experiencing killing at a young age.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 11:57 AM • Report
2JWARD
The phrase “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight” is such a great line. The poem is touching! It makes you reflect upon the struggles of other humans. It captures the emotions of the child soldiers!
Nov. 04, 2015 at 10:09 AM • Report
2JWARD
In today’s classes, we rarely focus on Africa's history. “If we stand tall it is because we stand on the backs of those who came before us.” That line tells us that before us were individuals that were Native Americans, slaves, immigrants and more. This piece of work should be read by numerous people. I agree with this poem as our ancestors are usually forgotten.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 10:00 AM • Report
KingBrack
“These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of” I am intruded by this line because it is one of the best lines and it verbalizes that the child soldiers shouldn’t be experiencing killing at a young age.
Nov. 03, 2015 at 10:29 PM • Report
claynique
The phrase “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight” is such a powerful line. That line is compelling to me because we as humans take our privileges for granted, while there’s little children out in the world that’s unsure where their next meal will come from. This poem was so touching. Keep up the good work!
Nov. 03, 2015 at 8:34 PM • Report
Hendog
"Their eyes tell silent stories." I am intrigued by this line, and I feel that this is one of your strongest lines
Nov. 03, 2015 at 12:05 PM • Report
Close