Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Courtney C, Eaton, CO

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

20 comment(s)
To all of the children whom have died in vain for some person's malicious intentions and screwed up ideals: "Requiescat In Pace"...
Apr. 17, 2015 at 5:12 PM • Report
this really speaks to me!!
Apr. 06, 2015 at 10:10 AM • Report
It makes you really think about what they are going through.
Feb. 25, 2015 at 6:27 PM • Report
Amazing. Writing like this is so important
Jan. 26, 2015 at 8:17 PM • Report
Wow. Simply remarkable, I am a new user o this website but upon reading this poem I feel compelled to start my own piece right away. This poem really capture the true emotion of these children that others take for granted. Well done.
Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM • Report
This was a really touching poem, it was amazing. It really makes me sad because we take so much for granted when they want something as little as a toy car when we expect more. I loved this piece because it contained such detail, although I would suggest a little better word choice. This was a deep thinking poem and you have great potential!!
Nov. 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM • Report
Wow. Your poem hit me. Your poem is really vivid and powerful. You have such a talent and greatness in you, I hope you know that! I'm glad this was published, because you and your poem deserve it! Congrats! Thank you for sharing this!
Sep. 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM • Report
Most people take things for granted. but the people who think about  other and the more important things rather than when someone is getting a phone or somthing, those people that think about the sad things like in this poem can teach alot of other people. well done
Aug. 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM • Report
I for real just started crying. This is an amazing piece. Guys, lets do something about this. I know I will definatly remember to pray for these childen. Thank you so much for this touching poem.
Jun. 03, 2014 at 9:38 PM • Report
I agree completley with, AbigailGilgal
Sep. 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM • Report