How many friends do you have? | Teen Ink

How many friends do you have?

By MehmedM. BRONZE, Banovići, Other
MehmedM. BRONZE, Banovići, Other

„The Earth has a skin and that skin has diseases, one of its tiseases is called man“.

Really? Look carefully. What actually is the definition of a friend? Take a couple of minutes and think about it. Do the people you're surrounded with really fit into the definition? Are those the people who you are ready to do anything, anytime for and expect the same back from them? Or do we say we just need them to be there for us when we need them? But when they are there for you, are they really there? Are they listening to your problems or just nodding affirmatively and, in their own heads, thinking about something else and waiting for the opportunity to change the subject?
I have a habit which, I think, is a bad one. I need to be less available for people. In my head I pictured myself always being there for others because I know that, one day, I will need the same from them. If they call me in the middle of the night to sleep at my place 'cause they can't go home –I'm there. If I need to cover up some kind of mess they made - I'm there. If they need me to do them a favor (which is a favor anyone else could do) – I'm there. I'm always there and I constantly keep putting other peoples needs in front of mine, although I got burned many times.
But suddenly, at that one enlightening moment, you realize that nothings as you imagined. Once you need them to stop everything that's on their mind and, just for a couple of minutes, sit there and listen to your problems, you get an unpleasant surprise: People are only used to take, take, take and they really need to start learning how to actually give.
The thing is that we are afraid of loosing the person if we are not always there for them. I don't say that we shouldn't care about other people, as the matter of fact that's what this is all about, but, in my opinion, we should take the amount of care we get from them, put it on a scale and give them the same amount of care back. Yes, it does sound a bit selfish, but that's the only way we can be sure that we wont get hurt. Friendship is all about giving and taking, but if you find yourself in a situation where you constantly give, and you get nothing from the other side, you really should be concerned.
I'm a really sociable person and I easily get bound to people, which is an another bad habit of mine. If I like someone I really try to be the best friend they have and try to be there for them.
Fact is: I always get disappointed with people, but I never give up.

There's a quote I like by Friedrich Nietzsche and it says:
„The Earth has a skin and that skin has diseases, one of its diseases is called man“.

People are selfish. If you give them you finger, they want the whole arm. But that's just the way were programmed. I will make a comparison: its like when you spoil your children, you keep buying them stuff, but once you stop they just lay themselves on the ground and start crying and screaming. And when they get older, they don't change a bit. As long as you keep caring for them everything's fine, but if you can't be there to fulfill their needs for care, they get mad.

Well, let me tell you something: You don't get the freaking right to be mad!

I have this habit. When my mood is down I write my emotions down and relax that way.

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I love it! This is so true for me too. "You don't get the freaking right to be mad." I couldn't have said it better myself.

ShenelleCrystal SILVER, M, New York

Laugh your heart out dance in the rain cherish the memories ignore the pain love + learn forget and forgive because remember you only have [one life to live] ♥

this is sooo true ! I love it ! please check out my work when u have the chance :) thanks !

carstorm SILVER, Harrisonburg, Virginia

"One who has done nothing can not criticize one who has done little"

This relates to me. I'm willing to do tons for my frineds and chabge my schule to fit theirs yet they don't do this for me. Then again I'm solder then all of them and can therefore do it easier then they can!

MehmedM. BRONZE, Banovići, Other

Yes, I know what you're saying. Same here :)
Thats why I felt like posting this :)

By the way, thanks for commenting :)

Brokenness_is_Beautiful SILVER, Independece, Louisiana

Life is so ironic to understand fully, it takes sadness to know what is happiness. noise to distinguish silent and a broken heart to find true love.

Another thing- when they take pictures are you the one taking them and not usually in them?

Preach It!

I agree. I was always there to listen to my friends and the moment I told them I was moving they didn't say I will miss you or even give me a good bye hug. I was so hurt. I would have jumped infront of a gun for them. In fact, I did for one. Ther was a robbery where I worked I stepped infront of the girl when the man pointed a gun at her! Not even a thank you was heard, then she cried it out on my shoulder, I got nothing in return.

MehmedM. BRONZE, Banovići, Other

Wow, this is the first comment I got! Thanks a lot! :)

LearnLoveLaugh SILVER, Spokane, Washington

"I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry." by Unknown

I really liked this and completely agree!(: You are obviously greatly intellctual and bright. Nice work!