Helping Fight Leukemia | Teen Ink

Helping Fight Leukemia MAG

On that wet and humidSaturday afternoon, I was on my way to help out at a walk to raise money forleukemia and trying not to think of all of the things I would rather be doing. Ihad volunteered to paint the faces of children who came to walk. I kept tellingmyself I should not be selfish and should feel good about doing this to helppeople. Finally, I decided it would not be such a terrible thing, and besides, itwas only for two hours.

As the first hour went by, more and more childrenlined up to get trucks, hearts and other things painted on their faces. There waswith one little girl who was absolutely adorable; she was only three years old.When she came over I asked what she wanted painted on her face and she told meBritney Spears. I looked at her mother, wondering How am I supposed to do that?She told me just to make a smiley face.

As people were getting ready forthe walk, there were a few speakers. When I went over to listen, the parents of alittle girl were talking because their daughter has leukemia. I realized the girlwas the one who asked me to paint Britney. My heart sank to the floor; I neverwould have known anything was wrong with her if I hadn't seen her up there. Itmade me feel so bad to think I could be selfish enough to dread going tosomething that could help so many people fight such a terrible disease.

Idecided that instead of hanging out with my friends, I would stay with my sisterand her friends to walk. When it was over, I felt great that I gave up my timefor such a good thing. That little girl taught me not to think only of myself allthe time.