Differently | Teen Ink

Differently

Looking into the mirror, I don’t even see my own face anymore. My lips are purple as if frostbitten on a cold winter day, my cheeks caved in as if I haven’t been eating, my hair gone as if I got the urge to shave it all off one day, but none of this is my choice. I have no choice in the way my face looks right now. Because if I did have a choice I wouldn’t even be looking in the mirror right now wondering how long I have left.

If I did have a choice, I’d be sitting in a boring classroom full of freshman throwing paper and gossiping about the latest drama. I’d be trying to get good grades and make my parents proud. I’d be getting ready for the basketball tryouts coming up in a week. I’d be conditioning every single day, preparing myself.

If I did have a choice I’d have a boyfriend. I’d let him hold me and tell me he thinks I’m beautiful. I’d go to on a hundred late night movie dates just to be with him. I’d say yes when he asked me to prom. I’d go shopping with all my friends just to find that perfect dress for the perfect night. I’d dance the night away.

If I had a choice, I’d go to church on Sundays and be a part of my family. I’d help my little brother with his shot. I’d help my sister with her math homework and how to wear her hair on picture day. I’d stay up all night just to hear her talk about what her mean friend did and I’d tell her just what to do the next day. I’d go shopping with my mom every weekend and remind her every single day just how much she means to me. I’d tell my dad I love him and have him help me with my reverse layup.

I’d do so many things if I had the choice not to look and feel the way I do. But I don’t have the choice. So I guess these things are just going to have to wait because I finally hear it. “Riley, you have maybe a month left.”

I'm not sure what inspired this piece, but it's one of my favorites!

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

Thanks for commenting IceFox! :)

Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anonymous

"For he loved her, as you can only love someone who is an echo of yourself in your time of deepest sorrow." ~ Orson Scott Card

Oh my gosh . . . wow! That ending really surprised me. This is great, really makes you feel for Riley. And makes you realize how self-absorbed we are sometimes. Very well done, love it!

5/5

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

Already did it! Thanks again for everything:)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

No, I don't have any piece in particular.  Just one of my fiction stories, please.  I posted the titles on your thread.

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

Thanks for the advice. I was checking out some of you work but I was wondering if you had one piece in particular that you wanted me to look at? If so, tell me and I'll be sure to read it and comment/rate it for you:)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Excellent piece!  I think it really gets inside the mind of someone with cancer.  A little more description would be nice, though, just to give the character a more unique voice.  Other than that, great job!  Keep writing!

on Nov. 25 2011 at 9:11 am
LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

Thank you so so much! is there any way you could check out my poem "the friend wars". It needs some work so i'd like some feedback! Thanks:)

on Nov. 25 2011 at 7:25 am
kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

This is a really good piece of writing with a lot of emotion! 5/5 stars

And I can't think of very many ways you could improve it, but try to add descriptive words while staying with the voice of your character.

But you did a great job overall, and I loved it! Keep up the good work! :)

on Nov. 24 2011 at 7:56 am
LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

If you read this, please take the time to comment. I really would like some feedback on how I can improve it! Thanks:)