Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Thursdays With Dr. Sykes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Heather S., Paw Paw, MI

It’s a beautiful place. The trees grow in every direction. They create forests that look like a woven mat of branches and leaves. The roots curl up and out of the forest floor, pointing toward the sky like delicate fingers. The leaves are never brown, but vivid red. The sky is purple and the stars always shine. In this place, I am the hero. I always come out on top, and everything always works in my favor. The only problem with this place is it’s only in my head.
In the real world, I am average. I am mediocre. I don’t have any noticeable talents, and I’m constantly reminded of this. My shrink thinks this is a self-esteem problem. I think that’s a load of s---. I’m beginning to think that if you are a teenage girl who’s not quite up to par and knows it, they chalk it up to the elusive “self-esteem problem.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

8 comment(s)
OfficialIzzyColon
There were points where I forgot that this was a fiction story. Very impressive, believable, and relatable character. Very well done!
Apr. 12, 2015 at 3:31 PM • Report
Vooglet
Hey guys I spent alot of time on this piece. Please check it out, any feedback is greatly appreciated :) thankyou @Vooglet
Mar. 21, 2015 at 1:15 AM • Report
Siara
really great...relatable, very well written, enjoyable. I'd like to read more of your work. :)
Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM • Report
User464646
Very well writen. The character is very belivable as well as relatable. I really enjoyed reading this story. :)
Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:48 PM • Report
wMESw
Really good I loved it.
Jan. 05, 2014 at 10:42 AM • Report
TheGirlintheOrange
The character voice in this is really strong, and I liked how you developed the backstory while simultaneously keeping the story moving forward.  It was a great piece, and--for a piece about depression--very fun to read, but I do feel like you made the ending too abrupt.  It's pretty much in the same paragraph when she confesses the fantasy world that she is diagnosed, and she doesn't really have much to say on her sudden change in diagnosis.  Perhaps draw out the ending a bit more?  Other than that, I loved it!
Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM • Report
JRaye
Really good! :) I love how strong your voice was, how you really became Violet. If the character is based on you, then your words flowed really well, but if you made up the character I'd find that even more impressive...If that makes any sense lol. Anyways, it was a very well-written story, especially at the entertaining ending :) Keep it up!
Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM • Report
In_Love_with_Writing
It wasn't bad. It was pretty good. Nice job. Can you comment and rate some of my work? It would put a smile on my face if you did? Thanks :)
Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM • Report
Close