Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Divergent by Veronica Roth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By MiuBlaze, Upper Darby, PA

When I first heard of Divergent by Veronica Roth (and who hasn't? It's a seriously hyped-up book), I didn't think I would like it. I mean, this is Roth's first book, she wrote it in her twenties (which is not too far from 15 – and anything I write should not and will not be hyped by the general public), and it's a dystopian story. Don't get me wrong, I like dystopian novels (Hunger Games, anyone?), but they are being churned out by the second. At some point, you get sick of it. But in this case I was wrong.

The story is set in dystopian Chicago, where society has been split into five factions. In each one, the residents are focused on cultivating one virtue. Candor's is honesty, Abnegation's is selflessness, Dauntless's is bravery, Amity's is being peaceful, and Erudite's is intelligence.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
I love books, however I can no longer finish a book... they're all the same now. No one has new and original ideas, and when someone does, there's 12 of them with the same idea. So what's reading about if you can't experience something unique?
Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM • Report
You're completely right- I do want too! Science fiction and dystopias are my favorite (ever read the Gone series by Micheal Grant?) Sadly every library I go to has it held several times
Jan. 06, 2014 at 9:13 PM • Report