Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Morality and Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By RustinN, Guilford, VT

I have never set fire to an orphanage. I have no wish to. There are many who believe that we must heed the Bible and religion, claiming that it brings us morality and without it, we have none. It is true that up to this point in history morality and religion have been closely linked and are often used interchangeably. Whether we look at Judaism, Christianity, or ancient Greek philosophy, morality has always been a key component. Well, I have never set fire to an orphanage, and I do not follow the Bible. It seems there may be a little morality in me after all. If this is the case, then it is time we re-evaluate the relationship between morality and religion. It is time to treat these two ideas as the separate entities that they are.

There is a belief that we must have religion to have morals.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
Iamransomed
Without God there is no reason for morals because you are implying there is no God there is no heaven and when you die you die. So why would you need morals if you are just going to die and be forgotton. God gives a reason to live and a reason to do good. What is your reason?
Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM • Report
AcrossTheUniverse
Not all religious people help other human beings for fear of punsihment! Certainly not the people I know. As for the Leviticus, you also hacve to take the history into context; for example, the first several chapters are about sacrifices. Do we make those anymore? No; thence they are irrelevant. A piece from the Catechism says "Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment. . . . For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths."
Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM • Report
AcrossTheUniverse
You have a strong voice but your pont gets a lost a few times in the essay. I do agree that morality and religion are different: religion is ahuman institution that contains morality, beliefs on what is good and evil.
Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM • Report
Close