My Closet | Teen Ink

My Closet MAG

I go to a small school of about 350 students. We live in a rural section of Downeast Maine. It is a poor but fairly well-educated community. Most of the people I go to school with have what they need, but some don't have much else. In fact, some students don't even have the basic necessities. The school lunch program helps them to get the food they need, but they need other things, like clothing.

The faculty at our school came up with the idea of having students and faculty clean out their closets of the clothes they don't wear anymore, but are in good condition. These clothes must also be what teenagers will wear.

This idea was brought up at one of our National Honor Society meetings. The project is to be called "My Closet." A small room is going to be built that will be for all the clothes that come in. People are to bring in their old clothes and leave them with someone who will sort through them, keep what's good and get rid of what's not. This someone may be a person or a small group of people from the National Honor Society who feel this is a worthy cause.

I think this project is a very good idea and I feel it is a worthy cause. I know that I would be happy to work in "My Closet." I hope everything will work out with this project and other schools will follow our example if they don't have a plan of their own for dealing with this all-too-prevalent problem. fl