Photographer Chris Anthony | Teen Ink

Photographer Chris Anthony

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Chris Anthony is known for his unique, ominous photography. Instead of simply photographing a person, he takes them and turns them into a character, places them in another world and creates an entire story. All through one photograph.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview Mr. Anthony for Teen Ink.

Rachel- Tell us about yourself.

Chris Anthony- I grew up in Stockholm, Sweden and have been living in Los Angeles for the past ten years. About all I do besides photography is read and see films. I used to travel a lot, but not so much any more.

RH- How did you first become interested in photography?

CA- As a teenager I was really into music and so I started a fanzine and of course we needed pictures
so I started photographing the bands. The first few shows produced horrible results, but after awhile
I started to get a bit better at it, and then fell in love with the process. Photography studies followed.

RH- What is your favorite subject to photograph?

CA- Not sure, but there's always people in my photographs, even if they are sort of made up as characters. So, perhaps I'm photographing myself?!?

RH- Who has been your favorite person to work with?

CA- Author Joseph Heller. I was about 17 years old and he was very nice and patient and I got quite a nice portrait of him.

RH- Who do you count as your inspiration?

CA- Mostly film directors. John Huston. Billy Wilder. David Lean. Terry Gilliam.

RH- If you could work alongside any photographer, or photograph any person, who would it be and why?

CA- I don't really have any dream subjects, because I'm usually creating characters with the people I photograph, but it would be lovely to have sitting with Tilda Swinton. She is an incredible actress and looks like she arrived here from another planet.

RH- Where do you find inspiration for a photo-shoot?

CA- It can come from anywhere. A piece of music. A scene from a film. Something happening in the world that one is outraged over.

RH- Describe the process of a photo-shoot from start to finish.

CA- It usually begins with an awful lot of ruminating and brooding! Then all the art direction / locations / costumes.
Making costumes and/or masks. Perhaps renting or buying certain elements. Deciding on whether any type of crew is needed (I prefer to do as much as possible myself if I can get away with it). The shoot itself is usually quite quick and painless if I've prepared properly. Unless of course the location is tough due to the elements. I've done a lot of shooting in the Pacific ocean on cold, wet winter mornings and it's usually pretty tough on
the models.

Then processing at my lab. Then editing. Then drum scanning of the 4x5 negatives and then printing.

RH- What advice do you have for aspiring photographers?

CA- Photograph what you know and love. That will help with having a distinct point of view which is
what it's all about.