Problems on Earth | Teen Ink

Problems on Earth MAG

What doesn't pollute the earth? Look around: most of what you see or use in daily life pollutes. Factories, cars and trains do; so do cars and buses, which are important for travel but still pollute too much. We need new laws and restrictions that will make the air and earth cleaner.*

In the United States, many factories are polluting the air and water systems. So are labs, and in some cities they are being investigated to see if they have contaminated the water. If they haven't, what would cause people around the city to all get the same type of cancer?

Rivers are polluted, which causes the destruction of fresh water and habitats. Laws should be put into place to limit this, but probably pollutants would end up going somewhere else. This seems to be a no-win situation. Although labs and factories create things we need, they also create thing we don't.

Planes, trains and automobiles take us places we need to go. They can be fast and comfortable, but we are paying the price. San Bernardino, California, for example, is one of the worst cities as far as air pollution. The smog and grime

travels into the valley from Los Angeles and turns the sky brown. The pollution from one city has to go somewhere, and in the case of Los Angeles, a lot goes to San Bernardino. Congress is trying to pass bills right now that would limit vehicle emissions and the number of big trucks on the roads. Everything seems to have a need but in the 30 years since the Clean Air Act was passed, the amount of pollution in the air has been reduced. Now those rules have been relaxed.

The ground, the air and the water have all been polluted. Different strategies have played out to make the health risks less. The more cars and buildings that are produced might help people, but they do not help the Earth.

*Editor's Update: In late August, the Bush Administration's proposed federal rule changes to the Clean Air Act were passed. According to Carl Pope, Director of the Sierra Club, "The rule signed creates a loophole exempting power plants when making changes that increase the pollution they produce. Polluters can replace huge pieces of their factories without installing readily available modern technology to curb the soot and smog pollution that leaves our communities at risk to more asthma attacks, acid rain, and other toxic pollution." (sierraclub.org)

go green said...
on May. 4 2012 at 5:54 am

its not a hollywood movie that u scarifce life and earth will be stored.

It is simple dont use vechiles for small distances like within 3 kms ..try to use public vechiles for long distances. plant some trees near ur sorrundings if u dont have space atleast small plants in ur compounds in pots.stop using Air conditioners . use only required amount of water. dont build too big house ..

go green said...
on May. 4 2012 at 5:49 am
its not that how big scale the project is every individual should start doing his bit. like stop using vechiles for small distances atleast plant some trees around home.stop smoking .then something can happen .or else in 50 -60 years v will die due to shoratge of water and food

PLEASE SPELL A LIKE A TEENAGER NOT LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD!

on Apr. 17 2011 at 6:35 am
romancejunky1998 SILVER, Cornubia, Other
I know how you feel everytime I see a new problem on the news-which they don't tell us the whole truth- I feel like doing something but I just don't know how and if it would ensure a longer life for those I love a longer life I woul give my life for them

on Apr. 17 2011 at 6:30 am

I agree but I think we should do it on a global scale as in for all the primeministers and presidents should all hold a global warming meeting because thats what it is a global matter that we all are responsable.

And I have to say the author managed to put this artical together with great skill

mike said...
on Feb. 22 2011 at 8:47 am
well, first of all i think that it's in our hands to save our world. people should think more about their future and they have to do something right now to stop polluting the air , water and land. first of all , the governments should organise an assembly where each primeminister  or president can express his opinion about how can we save the world. we need new laws...  like. all the people in the world  should plant a tree for each person... that's all i wanted to say about it ...

EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”
“The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future."

I agree with all of my heart. I want to curl up and die when I hear about the earth's current state; and I would if it could save this world. Without a doubt I would give my life to have this world back in one piece.

jen jen said...
i think we are the ones killing the erath if we keep doing wat we are doing the erathis going to end like a bad dearm and we will all die. jen jen was her

EMW111 said...
EMW111, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Truly this is the most important article I have read all day. Polluting is a huge problem that we have in the world. It would be great to come up with ideas about how to make our environment a better place. If it takes us to start more of spending time doing community service, carpool, and find better ways to stop hurting human nature. Polluting is also a big factor in destroying the ozone layer.

kab503 BRONZE said...
kab503 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
People will pollute the Earth everyday no matter what. Many jobs in this world pollute the planet. We can not change the fact that air pollution happens in everyday life. We can not stop driving cars just because too much gas is being burned. I agree that trash should not be thrown on the ground, but we can not restrict everyday activities like driving and smelling good because of air pollution. We can drive more fuel efficient cars and look for alternative fuels. We could look for more natural ways to clean/"smell good" our bodies

cjc408 said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 11:40 am
cjc408, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Nearly all of what we do these days in some way, shape, or form pollutes our earth. Whether it's just as simple as going to school, or even using hairspray. Some of this will not be able to be restricted by laws, but what we can stop we need to do now. Before all of it gets to a point that we can not return. 

dandan123 said...
on Oct. 20 2010 at 9:24 am
yes it is true ive gotta do a stupid R.E thing about it

hi i think this is very true and am glad i found it cause i have to do a geography project on something like this. Good job!!!!

cheergal said...
I like how it talks about the problems on earth

eddy123 said...
I think this is true about the world it is very polluted

alyma123 said...
i reli luv this websyt dat a feel lyk deleting it

!

LOL LOL

HA HA