Moving | Teen Ink

Moving

By benbo99 SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
benbo99 SILVER, Loveland, Ohio

“Ben, it’s time to go,” said mom.
“Okay,” I replied.
Today was moving day. The day I had been dreading for weeks had finally come. In my point of view, this was the worst thing that had ever happened; but, to the rest of the family it was a “new beginning” and “a chance to make new friends and try new things.” Sure I would make new friends eventually, but what about all the friends I would lose?
At least we got to go to IHOP before the sad occasion. We piled into the car and headed there. After breakfast we hopped into separate cars: Mom, Annalyse, and I in one car; Dad and our dog Millie in the other. Dad was going back to the neighborhood to walk the dog. Mom informed me that we were going to the dump then to Half Price Books.
During the trip to the dump I was extremely anxious and by the time we were at Half Price Books I was feeling sad. As we left Half Price Books, Mom’s phone rang. “Oh, it’s dad!” she said, but once the conversation was over mom had the something’s wrong look on her face.
“What’s wrong?” I asked her.
She told me that there was a leak where the fridge had been.
“Oh no,” I said, “That means that dad will get all stressed out!”
“Uh, huh,” said mom.
“So are we going back to the house?” I asked.
(Sigh) “I suppose we have to so Dad doesn’t go crazy,” Mom replied.
Once we were home, Mom and Dad wiped up the water and a repair-man fixed the leak. After that was all sorted out we went to go close on the house. I was so sad I thought I was about to die. I was going to miss my best friend Jake more than anyone could imagine! We had to wait an extremely long amount of time for all of the papers to be signed; I was even starting to hope that the house wasn’t going to be sold! But alas, it ended up just being a long wait.
After that we got back into the cars. “See you at the hotel,” Dad said as he headed out of town. Mom, Annalyse, and I went back to say good bye to the neighbors. After the teary good bye we got in the car for seven hours of Bop It, Bee-bop Head (a game we invented), and bouncing a foam ball against the window. We arrived at the Drury Inn in Nashville, Tennessee to spend the night.
Early the next morning we got in the car. I was so tired I could barely walk out to the car, with only sheer excitement keeping me awake. Throughout the car ride I was so excited that the ten hour ride felt like a twenty hour one. As we drove I notice the trees getting taller and taller. My sister had been taking a nap and right after she woke up she asked, “Are we there yet?”
“We will be in about ten minutes,” was Mom’s answer.
When we finally arrived at our new house I was super excited. We played in the backyard; it was so big we could have fit six of our Texas backyards inside of it. After that I started to feel hungry. Mom said that as soon as the landlady got here we could go get dinner. By the time that the landlady arrived and left, I was starved! When we finally left for Frisch’s, I thought I could eat a cow I was so hungry. After dinner we came back to the house. I slept in the living room on a sleeping bag. I still wish I lived in Texas but I have started to see part of the positives of living in Ohio, like tall trees and nice weather.

aurum_angel BRONZE, Hingham, Massachusetts

'I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you–Nobody–Too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise–you know!

How dreary–to be–Somebody!
How public–like a Frog-
To tell one’s name–the livelong June-
To an admiring Bog!'
-Emily Dickinson

Wait, you live in Loveland? Sorry for the double post or whatever you guys have here, but I used to live there too! What a coincidence! I hope you like it there! I had such great childhooh there...

'I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you–Nobody–Too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise–you know!

How dreary–to be–Somebody!
How public–like a Frog-
To tell one’s name–the livelong June-
To an admiring Bog!'
-Emily Dickinson

Really nice job. I know what it feels like to move too, and you wrote about it in such a great way.