Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

One to leave behind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Kiyoko, Knoxville, TN

One. Family photo beside the Christmas tree, crunchy wrapping paper and baby was in a red, felt Santa Claus hat. Mommy cooked dinner and danced to Madonna.

Four. New house. Big hill, big eyes and a secret place behind the fence in the back yard. There's lots of hairy poison ivy vines. They feel nice in cold places between fingers.

Seven. Not baby, anymore. Baby number two and the bedroom is blue now. Leaf trail houses on the top of the hill, onion grass and snail shells in spring.

Eleven. New house. New school. Big girl. Perfect for soccer and Judo and being scared of the dark. Sleeps with blanket over head, maybe no one will see. First crush, and of course it's love because it's sixth grade and he was so cute. Best Friend moves home again, Virginia has mailed her back, unwanted.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
OldYoungOne
I like how it took me through a journey about a child life. It went from innocence to what i felt was corruption . I like it.   Could you possibly commetn and rate some of my work? I'd like to see what you would think about my peoms and if your really inot reading my articles (no pressure)
Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM • Report
Close